Hey Lads and Lassies,
Thought I would throw this out there. I was looking to brew a higher alcohol content brew. I like to feel like a cheap date, but unfortunately (or fortunately, if you prefer) my alcohol tolerance is a bit on the high side. So, I set out on a scientific journey to use a genetically modified yeast strain, that is actually able to not only survive in a SLIGHTLY higher ethanol environment, but is actually more efficient at glucose utilization. From this, I thought that since I was already toying with nature, I would play the rest of this experimental brew safe. I decided to use 6lbs of DME and 2oz (total) Amarillo Hops. Anyhow, the whole reaction, was actually visible within 10 minutes, causing my airlock to go a little nutty. Of course, I have not ruled out the idea of a contamination, but would see what others thought about this whole process. As is our hobby, I'm always trying something new and looking for advice on how to improve!!