Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Equipment Needed for First Brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2007, 03:04 PM   #1
llain
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Equipment Needed for First Brew

Hello All.

I am new to this board and introduced myself on the Introductions Board. I plan on eventually getting into all grain brewing and it was suggested that I try extract brewing first before I spend a lot of money and decide that this was not for me. Could you please tell me what extract equipment I should invest in first to get my first extract brew going.

Please suggest equipment that I will not need to upgrade when I advance onto all grain brewing. I plan on using glass Carboys for cleanliness instead of plastic, so also what size should I go for, 5 gallon or 6.5 gallon.

Looking forward to your replies

Niall

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2007, 03:05 PM   #2
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts

http://northernbrewer.com/starterkits.html

There's no reason to not use plastic buckets. A lot of us prefer them because they are so much easier to clean.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 02-15-2007, 03:20 PM   #3
subabrew
Recipes 

From what I have read so far it is good to have a 6.5 gallon for primary fermentation and a 5 gallon for secondary. The 6.5 gallon will come in handy during the very active stage of fermentation so you wont have foamy mess coming out of your fermentor. I am a newb as well so correct me if am off base on this one.

Old 02-15-2007, 03:24 PM   #4
subabrew
Recipes 

also I plan on going with the intermediate kit when I get home

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/produ...Cat=11166&fd=1

Old 02-15-2007, 05:33 PM   #5
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

I like 5.5 gallons for second stage. The risk of blow off is small, but going a only five means you limit your flexibility about adding things into your secondary.

The basic kit shown in the link should be fine - there are advantages to using glass but as Cheesefood points out, there is a simplicity to cleaning plastic buckets that can be very appealing.

Old 02-15-2007, 05:59 PM   #6
onecolumbyte
Recipes 

The kit shown looks like a good start to me. If I had a choice I would get a 6.5 carboy for primary fermentation. I have a 5 gallon now and if you want to avoid blowoff never quite fill it to the top. If I had the bigger one I could consistently get 5 gallons of beer from the recepies.

Also don't buy what you don't have to. I was thinking about getting into homebrewing and the cost was holding me back. Turns out my father in-law had a bunch of equipement from when he used to brew back in the 70's. The more I talk to people the more I find a bunch of people who used to brew that are willing to unload equipment. Or people who have upgraded.... There's always gently used equipemnt out there if you look.

My secret for bottling is using Martilli's bottles. You know the sparkling apple cider. They use a regular bottle cap and are 24 oz. Bigger bottles means less capping! They are green so I store them in old wine boxes to protect them from the light. Also don't be foolish enough to pay for empty bottles. Emptying them yourself is much more fun! and about the same price.

Papazian's Joy of Brewing is a great way to get started. And relax. You're first batch is pretty stressful but just remeber that it really does take some effort to screw up beer.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:48 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

One of the oddest things about brewing kits is, they never include a kettle! You have to have a large kettle and a good heat source. 8-10 gallons for the kettle and some kind of propane burner, if you plan on going to AG soon. Many people (myself included) purchase turkey boilers. The pots tend to be a bit on the small side, but when I started doing AG, I got a bigger pot and used the old one for a mash tun.

You can do extract, extract plus specialty grains and mini-mash on a stove and with a 20-24 quart pot.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-16-2007, 12:02 AM   #8
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

Most online places have kettles as an add on. It makes sense since many people have a stock pot big enough to handle a partial boil.

Old 02-16-2007, 03:15 AM   #9
davidr2340
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by onecolumbyte
The kit shown looks like a good start to me. If I had a choice I would get a 6.5 carboy for primary fermentation. I have a 5 gallon now and if you want to avoid blowoff never quite fill it to the top. If I had the bigger one I could consistently get 5 gallons of beer from the recepies.

Also don't buy what you don't have to. I was thinking about getting into homebrewing and the cost was holding me back. Turns out my father in-law had a bunch of equipement from when he used to brew back in the 70's. The more I talk to people the more I find a bunch of people who used to brew that are willing to unload equipment. Or people who have upgraded.... There's always gently used equipemnt out there if you look.

My secret for bottling is using Martilli's bottles. You know the sparkling apple cider. They use a regular bottle cap and are 24 oz. Bigger bottles means less capping! They are green so I store them in old wine boxes to protect them from the light. Also don't be foolish enough to pay for empty bottles. Emptying them yourself is much more fun! and about the same price.

Papazian's Joy of Brewing is a great way to get started. And relax. You're first batch is pretty stressful but just remeber that it really does take some effort to screw up beer.
This is very nice to hear!!! I'm doing my first batch Saturday!!!

David

Old 02-16-2007, 05:42 PM   #10
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Good luck and have fun. It does not take long before you are experienced enough to make beers that are way better than anything you can buy.

Quick Reply