Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > English Bitter - looking for advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2008, 07:39 PM   #1
HumeBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default English Bitter - looking for advice

I've brewed a couple batches from kits so far with OK results. My next brew will be an Ordinary British Bitter that I'd like to make w/o a kit. This was the simple recipe I was thinking about using:

3.3lbs John Bull Maris Otter LME
1.5lbs amber DME
0.5lbs crystal malt 60

1.5oz East Kent Goldings (60 min)
1oz East Kent Goldings (5 min)

Wyeast London Ale III (#1318)

From what I've gathered, the crystal malt should be steeped in the water while its heating and taken out just as the water begins to boil. Is that correct?

Suggestions/recommendations? Specifically, I was wondering about the extracts. I was thinking about using only the John Bull (5lb), but I didn't know how I would store the remaining ~1.5lbs of extract. Then again, it would be cheaper to go with the amber DME. I'd really appreciate any and all feedback on this, as it is basically my first recipe. What say ye?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2008, 07:49 PM   #2
JustMrWill
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here is one from Orfy in the recipe section...linky to extract post..

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost...7&postcount=17

-JMW

"I know drinking kills brain cells--but only the weak ones "

Old 05-19-2008, 07:50 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumeBrew View Post
I've brewed a couple batches from kits so far with OK results. My next brew will be an Ordinary British Bitter that I'd like to make w/o a kit. This was the simple recipe I was thinking about using:

3.3lbs John Bull Maris Otter LME
1.5lbs amber DME
0.5lbs crystal malt 60

1.5oz East Kent Goldings (60 min)
1oz East Kent Goldings (5 min)

Wyeast London Ale III (#1318)

From what I've gathered, the crystal malt should be steeped in the water while its heating and taken out just as the water begins to boil. Is that correct?

Suggestions/recommendations? Specifically, I was wondering about the extracts. I was thinking about using only the John Bull (5lb), but I didn't know how I would store the remaining ~1.5lbs of extract. Then again, it would be cheaper to go with the amber DME. I'd really appreciate any and all feedback on this, as it is basically my first recipe. What say ye?
If you're going to start doing your own recipes (without kits) I'd suggest skipping the learning curve and getting Brewing Classic Styles by JZ and JP.

In lieu of that---go with the maris otter extract, half a pound of crystal 120, and 4oz of Special Roast. Use either WLP002 or WLP005...though if you already have the WY1318, that'll work too.

For steeping grains, they obviously need to be crushed. Then you steep them for 30 minutes in 150f water (I think...it's been a long time since I did extract). Take them out, then bring to a boil as usual.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 05-19-2008, 07:54 PM   #4
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I would go with all light extract. Use your 3.3lb can of John Bull, but then forgo the amber extract and just get a pound or so of light DME. When I was doing extract, the only thing I wanted from my extract was the fermentables. I got my color and flavor from steeping grains. I would suggest the same.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:55 PM   #5
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumeBrew View Post
Boiling is too hot, 150-160deg for 30-45min should get you what you need.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 05-19-2008, 07:57 PM   #6
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbies View Post
I would go with all light extract. Use your 3.3lb can of John Bull, but then forgo the amber extract and just get a pound or so of light DME. When I was doing extract, the only thing I wanted from my extract was the fermentables. I got my color and flavor from steeping grains. I would suggest the same.
+1, you will get your color from those crystal/caramel grains. Always use light or extra light extract, unless going for something specific like Marris Otter or Munich extract.

On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 05-19-2008, 07:57 PM   #7
DrewsBrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I'd dump the amber extract and just stick with the using specialty grains for color. Crystal 60 is pretty good in English ales so maybe just up that to reach your desired color range. Half your EKG for finishing to .5 oz and see if you like the result. English bitters should have low to medium hop flavor and aroma.

Steep your grains at constant 150 degrees for about a half hour. Bringing to boil will extract tannins and give off flavors.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:05 PM   #8
NWernBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

All very good advice.

As far as making your own recipes goes - I would second the book that Evan! recommended. It is a good resource and can help prevent the odd bad batch from a faulty recipe. But I commend your jump into recipe formulation - I did that myself and have had pretty good results with the occasional winner - although the move into AG will cause me to pretty much start over.

Good luck - Cheers.

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. --Frank Zappa

Old 05-19-2008, 08:10 PM   #9
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Designing Great Beers - Ray Daniels
Another great book, and my personal favorite. Learned a lot about recipes formulation from this book.

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 05-19-2008, 09:06 PM   #10
HumeBrew
Recipes 

Thanks for all the feedback. The general consensus seems to be that I should use light DME in lieu of amber DME. I'll add a little special roast to help bring up the color. Thanks also for the book recommendations. I'll definitely look into them. In the meantime, though, I think I'm just going to jump in headfirst with this recipe and see how it goes. Wish me luck!

Quick Reply