Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Electric stove brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2009, 03:54 PM   #1
dexter_craig
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Electric stove brewing

I have been using an electric stove to brew. I use extract kits that have steeping grains in them and I notice when after my boil when I transfer my wort to the fermenter that there is a pattern on the bottom of the kettle that is the burner element. Also it has bits of grain stuck to it that have 'burnt'

I have this 'toasted' flavor to some-not all- of my brews. Also my color turns out darker than the style it should be.
Is this common with electric stoves?

I think the next batch I am going to try using the side burner on my BBQ pit.

The Pessimist says that his glass is half empty.
The Optimist says his glass is half full.
I say--"Who drank my farking BEER!"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2009, 04:00 PM   #2
wilserbrewer
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 573 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Yes I have had this happen years ago w/ an electric stove and a thin canning pot. Perhaps trying an "extract late" brewing technique will keep gravity down during the boil and reduce scorching, darkening of the wort.

Basicly you add around half of the extract at the end of the boil. Different ways to do it...search around.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:23 PM   #3
BrewinDuluth
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm glad this was brought up. Between my not super high-quality kettle and my electric stove I was having some major burn-in problems. I started adding my extract half-way through the boil now, and I try to stir as much as possible after that. It seems to be helping, but it would be good to know if I'm messing anything up by doing this? Beer seems to be turning out fine though.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:29 PM   #4
Beezer94
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I think the problem is the 'High' setting on stoves is overly used. That setting is meant for heating oil to 375-450F and the 'Medium' setting is for boiling. It just takes a long time to boil at 'medium' so we tend to use high heat to get it started and then leave it on it. I would experiment with a couple gallons of water in your pot and see how low you can set it and keep a moderate rolling-boil.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:34 PM   #5
boydak
Recipes 

I was heavy into brewing and than moved to a house with an electric stove. After a few batches I could not wait for that stove to break to replace it with a gas!!!!

Old 03-31-2009, 08:37 PM   #6
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I brewed for a short time on the electric stove and put a coat hanger on top of the element to reduce the scorch pattern on the bottom of the pot. As for grain burning on the bottom I'm not sure why you have any grain in your boil. It shouldn't be there at that temperature unless you like the astringency it imparts.

My brewing became much more enjoyable when I moved outside to the deck on a turkey fryer. No more scorching, sweating, and the beer is noticably better because I can do full boils.

Looking forward to brewing some beer

Old 03-31-2009, 11:04 PM   #7
Slim
Recipes 

I too have an electric stove. I'm new at this, but here's my two cents. Make sure you take the pot off the heated burner before adding your extract. In addition, do not place the pot on to a heated burner until the extract has dissolved. Place the pot on the burner and then turn on the burner. Once on, I continually stir the pot and scrape the bottom so the extract does not settle and burn.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:25 PM   #8
Christian
Recipes 

During the winter i am stuck using my electric stove indoors. While steeping your grains you should bring your water up to the maximum desired temp for those grains then turn your heat off and keep a lid on while they steep. This will prevent the scorching of the grains and keep the temp up. Also the btu output of almost all side burners is not enough for the size boils needed to brew.

I believe Homer Simpson said it best "Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems"

CMAC'S Brewery

Old 03-31-2009, 11:31 PM   #9
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 486 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 17

When I'm doing a mini mash, I use the oven to maintain my temp. Works like a charm. I got a cheap oven thermometer that I sit next to my pot o' grains and water and then keep an eye on the thermometer every 10-15 minutes. If it drops below 140, I turn the oven on until it starts to climb over 150, and shut it back off.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 04-01-2009, 03:07 AM   #10
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post
During the winter i am stuck using my electric stove indoors. While steeping your grains you should bring your water up to the maximum desired temp for those grains then turn your heat off and keep a lid on while they steep. This will prevent the scorching of the grains and keep the temp up. Also the btu output of almost all side burners is not enough for the size boils needed to brew.
OOOHHHH... Winter is no reason to bring the boil inside. Man up and shovel some snow!!

Looking forward to brewing some beer

Quick Reply