New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Efficiency of Extract?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2010, 12:53 PM   #1
parratt1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Efficiency of Extract?

I am trying to figure out the OG of a recipe I have on Brewmasters Warehouse brewbuilder. Is efficiency of extract taken into account like it is with all grain? This particular recipe calls for 7lbs of LME and the default efficiency is 75% on the software with an OG of 1.063. If you adjust the efficiency to say 90% it goes up to 1.076. Just curious here as to what gives.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2010, 03:21 PM   #2
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by parratt1 View Post
I am trying to figure out the OG of a recipe I have on Brewmasters Warehouse brewbuilder. Is efficiency of extract taken into account like it is with all grain? This particular recipe calls for 7lbs of LME and the default efficiency is 75% on the software with an OG of 1.063. If you adjust the efficiency to say 90% it goes up to 1.076. Just curious here as to what gives.
Extract should not be affected by efficiency. That seems like a bug in the brew builder software to me.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:31 PM   #3
parratt1
Recipes 

OK........I wasn't sure. I think I will download beersmith. Have been wanting to for awhile now so this gives me a good excuse.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:19 PM   #4
Brewmasters Warehouse
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
Extract should not be affected by efficiency.
This is correct but the Brew Builder does not have the ability to ignore that rule when extracts are concerned. To compensate for this the potential gravities of all extracts have been adjusted so that when 75% efficiency is chosen the values of the OG will be correct.

Example: 1 pound of Pilsen Liquid extract at 75% efficiency yields 1.038 per gallon which is correct value for that extract. If you change the efficiency from 75% your OG will be off.

So the bottom line is if your an extract/PM brewer do not change the 75% and everything will be correct. If your a PM brewer that gets higher or lower than 75% the corrected value is 2-3 points for every 5% you are higher or lower than 75%.

Ed

Purchase a recipe with Brew Builder and save 10% off the recipe. Use discount code: BBBYO

Become a fan of BMW on Facebook.

Quick Reply