Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > During a late extract edition, why is the hot break of no concern???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2009, 07:26 PM   #1
bgough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default During a late extract edition, why is the hot break of no concern???

I've read countless posts on this board recommending late extract editions. However, if the hot-break is so important, so that the hop oils dont coaggulate with the break and fall, isnt a late extract edition going to get you much less utilization from your flavor and aroma hops?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2009, 07:27 PM   #2
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The hot break already happened when your extract was created at the MFG.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:20 PM   #3
HP_Lovecraft
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
However, if the hot-break is so important, so that the hop oils dont coaggulate with the break and fall,
I've wondered about this as well. Most books and websites (ie John Palmers) say you must hotbreak the extract wort.

But having using the late-method for almost a year, I don't think I'll ever go back. I still get a "break" of sorts which seems to come solely from all the hops, and the small amount of extract added.

It seems one of those things that always frustrate me. Like with secondaries, autolysis, starters, etc. Lots of things in homebrewing have a signifigant effect, while other things have very little, if any at all.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:33 PM   #4
john from dc
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

i always have material precipitate out of my extract when i add it to the boil. i don't know what it could be besides hot break.

while i think the hot break does have SOME effect on hop utilization, i've never adjusted my recipes for it. if i'm going to do a 5, 10, or 15 minute addition i'll always add the extract first and the hops after the wort returns to a boil. but that's more for the sake of getting an accurate boil time on the late hop addition than a concern about break material.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:38 PM   #5
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
I've wondered about this as well. Most books and websites (ie John Palmers) say you must hotbreak the extract wort.
Palmer says you should to help prevent boilover, it's more a recommendation than saying you must wait:

Quote:
This is called the Hot break and may take 5-20 minutes to occur, depending on the amount of protein in your extract. Often the first hop addition triggers a great deal of foaming, especially if hop pellets are used. I recommend waiting until the Hot break occurs before doing your first Hop addition and timing the hour. The extra boiling time won't hurt.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Quick Reply