The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Dry malt extract or sugar?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2006, 06:21 PM   #1
dcarter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Dry malt extract or sugar?

Does anyone prefer to use the sugar that comes with the Coopers kits or is it better to add more DME? I have seen both recomended and jsut wondered what would make the best beer. If DME is better, how much and what kind would I add to make a 5 gallon batch of Lager for instance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2006, 07:04 PM   #2
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarter
Does anyone prefer to use the sugar that comes with the Coopers kits or is it better to add more DME? I have seen both recomended and jsut wondered what would make the best beer. If DME is better, how much and what kind would I add to make a 5 gallon batch of Lager for instance.
Malt extract is always better to use than the corn sugar.

As for amounts.... I think those kits usually come with a "half-n-half" set-up. One half of the extract you really want, and the other half of the fermentables come from the cheap corn sugar. Just get another bag or can of extract the same size and type as the one you have and use it.

A 3.3lb (1.5kg) can of LME or 44oz (2.75lb) bag of DME is probably what you need to use instead of the corn sugar.

-walker

Old 10-27-2006, 07:24 PM   #3
Caplan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Corn sugar/malt extract combinations will give you the ABV but not the 'body' you'd get from using just malt extract. Definately swap the corn sugar for DME/LME and just use it for priming if you plan to bottle condition your beer.

Old 10-27-2006, 08:18 PM   #4
dcarter
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 10

So if I use two cans of LME I dont need the 1 kg of sugar. This will result in the same ABV in the primary but with much more body. I am using priming sugar drops also, (the ones that come with the kits) to carbonate in the bottle. Do I still need to add that after the primary fermentation? I know these questions may seem redundant but I really want to understand clearly before I try anything new.

Old 10-27-2006, 10:22 PM   #5
veggiess
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarter
So if I use two cans of LME I dont need the 1 kg of sugar. This will result in the same ABV in the primary but with much more body. I am using priming sugar drops also, (the ones that come with the kits) to carbonate in the bottle. Do I still need to add that after the primary fermentation? I know these questions may seem redundant but I really want to understand clearly before I try anything new.
You add the carb drops directly to the bottle and they carbonate at that point. Don't bottle until primary fermentation is done; I'd suggest 2 weeks.

Primary:
Secondary: Newcastle Clone
Bottled: Chocolate Caramel Cappuccino Porter, Vanilla Cream Ale, American Wheat
Party pigs: Hex Nut Brown Ale
Up Next:

Quick Reply