Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Dry hopping? When and how much?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2007, 05:50 PM   #1
Oakwood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Dry hopping? When and how much?

when dry hopping how much leaf hops should I use per 5g batch?

which would give the best results? dry hopping in the primary or secondary? If I do it in the secondary should I put the hops in and then rack or rack and just drop in the hops?

Secondary - ll: Empty
Kegged:
#1 - American Wheat
#2 - Empty
#3 - Empty
Planned: River Horse Summer Blonde Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2007, 05:54 PM   #2
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Depends on how hoppy you want the beer to taste/smell. An ounce of leaf hops will give you plenty of flavor and aroma, but you could go to 2 or even 3 ounces for an IPA. Add them to the secondary. I like to add them before racking, but you can do it either way.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 09-04-2007, 06:00 PM   #3
Oakwood
Recipes 

thank you, that was what I needed.

I will go for the secondary with 1 once and add it before I rack it over. Is there anything that I am missing?

Kegged:
#1 - American Wheat
#2 - Empty
#3 - Empty

Old 09-04-2007, 06:04 PM   #4
mizzoueng
Recipes 

This is for an Extra Pale Ale? Get yourself a Muslin or Nylon (easier to clean) bag and throw 1-2 ounces of hops into it. Tie it shut and tie some string (or fishing line) to the bag and throw it in the secondary. Make sure the string is tied off to something outside the carboy. Leave it in for as long as you want. The longer it sits the hoppier it gets!

FYI, for IPAs you dry hop between 2-4 ounces (depending on IPA, DIPA, IIPA, TIPA, etc) for dry hopping. Bell's Two Hearted calls for 2 ounces of PELLETs for dry hopping.

Primary 1: Empty
Primary 2: Empty
Primary 3: Empty
Secondary 1: Empty
Secondary 2: Empty
Conditioning: Tradition IPA, Sweet Mead, Strawberry Melomel, and Raspberry Melomel
Drinking: MW Irish Red Ale, Lawnmower de Saison
Planning: Maple Syrup Mead

Old 09-04-2007, 06:25 PM   #5
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't like the bag method. Not as much extraction. But it is certainly easier come racking time.

And there is a limit to mizzoueng's "the longer it sits the hoppier it gets" statement. After awhile (a month maybe) you stop getting any flavor/aroma extraction from the hops, and they start to impart an undesirable grassy flavor. I'd recommend no more than 2 weeks for an extra pale.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 09-04-2007, 07:13 PM   #6
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

FWIW - I've only dry-hopped once and it was with pellets in an IIPA. It was an absolute nightmare racking that into my bottling bucket. If I remember correctly it took me almost an hour because my racking cane kept getting clogged up with hops. I'm doing to be dry-hopping my 'Hop Kolsch' tomorrow, with 1.5 oz of Hallertau (I love Hallertau for aroma) and I'll be using a muslin bag somehow or another to avoid the experience that I had the last time.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:04 PM   #7
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobrewtus
FWIW - I've only dry-hopped once and it was with pellets in an IIPA. It was an absolute nightmare racking that into my bottling bucket. If I remember correctly it took me almost an hour because my racking cane kept getting clogged up with hops. I'm doing to be dry-hopping my 'Hop Kolsch' tomorrow, with 1.5 oz of Hallertau (I love Hallertau for aroma) and I'll be using a muslin bag somehow or another to avoid the experience that I had the last time.
With whole hops they usually won't clog the autosiphon so it is less of a problem. With pellet hops they eventually settle out of the beer. If you keep your racking tube above the sediment slowly lowering it to get the bottom of the carboy you can rack most of the beer into the bottling bucket or keg without getting clogged. If I'm careful I can get pretty much every thing before it clogs and once it does I stop.
Craig

Old 09-04-2007, 08:45 PM   #8
Oakwood
Recipes 

I am going to use full hops not pellets or plugs, I don't think I will use the bag as I am comfortable with racking over with little to no clogs. Besides I drink other beer while working on new beer so the longer it takes the more fun it is. (standard brew time of 3 hours - I could do it faster but why?).

Kegged:
#1 - American Wheat
#2 - Empty
#3 - Empty

Old 09-04-2007, 11:20 PM   #9
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

One other reason for using a bag, most of what can be extracted from the hops will be in a week or two. If you want more aroma, you should remove the old hops and add fresh ones.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 09-04-2007, 11:27 PM   #10
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 566 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobrewtus
Give this a try. 1-gallon paint strainer from Lowes. I suggest using a small zip tie around the end instead of htis clamp...makes fitting through the neck of a glass carboy easier.

I've used this in the secondary for both pellets and whole leaf hops. I dry hop my kegs now so...different process.

hopstopper_1.jpg

hopstopper_2.jpg

hopstopper_3.jpg

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Quick Reply