Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Dry Hopping

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2013, 12:56 AM   #1
msinning
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Dry Hopping

I dry hopped an IPA about seven days ago with about 1 1/2 oz of pellet hops. They broke apart and have formed a "hop cake" about a half inch thick on top of the fermenting beer. Is this normal or should they have sunk into the beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 01:05 AM   #2
dobberson24
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It will sink in a few days. A cold crash helps. It's normal.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:14 AM   #3
Cyclman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 359 Times on 312 Posts
Likes Given: 118

Totally normal. Did you dry hop during or after ferm? Better flavor if you wait for active ferm to stop, then dry hop.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing!

Old 03-02-2013, 03:37 AM   #4
flyte74
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Dry hopping after fermentation generally yields better results. I'm 50/50 on transferring to secondary before dry hopping. After 7 days, depending on the recipe, yeast, fern temps, etc., primary fermentation may have completed.

To answer your questions, it's normal and they should drop after a few days. As stated before, a cold crash will help a lot. If you have the means to cold crash, I don't think you will find many who would not recommend it. When I dry hop I use a muslin bag to contain the hops. Some say its better to let them free float like you are doing. I think I may try that next time. Either that or I may try the tea strainer I bought a few weeks ago.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
msinning
Recipes 

Thanks for the info. I dry hopped while in the secondary so active ferm was complete. Im gonna bottle it today so I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:49 PM   #6
powermd
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Another dry hopping question:

My goal is to brew a beer like Heady Topper (eventually). For now I'm shooting for low bitterness, but heavy hop flavor and aroma with more basic techniques than the HT clone boys are doing. My first batch fell way short on the aroma, and I'm trying to correct that this time. The original recipe used 3 oz of Falconer 7C added 1 oz each at 60/10/5 min. This time around I repeated this, but will add 1 oz of Aussie Galaxy as a dry hop. My plan is to ferment down to my target gravity of 1.015 or so, rack to a carboy, and then do another 10-14 days in the carboy at 65 degrees. I'll add the Galaxy for the last 7 days.

Now, I did a gravity check today and I'm at 1.02 with slow, but active fermentation (OG was about 1.056). I tasted the beer and again it wasn't remotely as hoppy as I'm looking for. My question is will the Galaxy make a huge difference? Or should I add even more hops? I have an extra ounce of Cascade I picked up today and could add this as well.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #7
flyte74
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Dry hopping doesn't add much to flavor, it's more to increase the aroma. If you want more hop flavor at this point I think you can make a hop tea and add that. I've never done it before so I could be completely wrong. Search hop tea and see if it is an appropriate technique.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:48 PM   #8
powermd
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Not a very satisfying discussion on hop teas.. some have good results, some bad. Hard to know what to do. Is there no consensus on the best way to infuse your beer with extra hop flavor and/or aroma?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyte74 View Post
Dry hopping doesn't add much to flavor, it's more to increase the aroma. If you want more hop flavor at this point I think you can make a hop tea and add that. I've never done it before so I could be completely wrong. Search hop tea and see if it is an appropriate technique.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:09 PM   #9
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 1906 Times on 1678 Posts
Likes Given: 1410

Wel,since our senses of smell & taste are linked,aroma from dry hopping does give a fuller sense of the flavors as well. But this works best if dry hopping with the flavor hops used in the boil.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:25 PM   #10
VampireSix
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by powermd View Post
Not a very satisfying discussion on hop teas.. some have good results, some bad. Hard to know what to do. Is there no consensus on the best way to infuse your beer with extra hop flavor and/or aroma?
Besides this?
http://www.dogfish.com/company/tangents/randall-the-enamel-animal.htm

Once it's brewed, there isn't much you can do. Dry hopping also suffers from diminishing returns. For a five gallon batch, the difference between 1oz to 2oz of hops for a dry hop should be noticeable. 2oz - 3oz, not nearly as much, and above 3.5oz is pointless. This is from the book "For The Love of Hops" where they talk to various commercial breweries, and I've done calculations converting pounds and barrels to oz/gallons.

They also recommend doing multiple dry hopping for the big hop forward beers. Take your total dry hop amount, split it up into two-three additions, and put each one in for about 2-3 days and remove, putting in the next round of fresh hops.

For a real prominent hop flavor/aroma, look at a hop stand at the end of your boil. On the last Double IPA I made, the aroma just from the hop stand was so wonderful, I couldn't tell if dry hopping actually did anything more.

Quick Reply