Originally Posted by poto101
When using DME, my technique is to pour the DME into a (large) bowl before adding it. I have had issues with the steam of the boil causing my DME to clump in the bag, making it difficult to pour. To solve this I just put it into a bowl and pour it in slowly while stirring (with the burner off of course). No more clumps.
That's a good idea. Last time I used DME I got 95% of it out of the bag before it started to clump in the bag itself from the steam. I'm sure I lost a couple ounces due to that. However, I was making a barleywine targeted at 12.5%, so if it comes in slightly short, I won't be too disappointed.
REVOLT BREWING COMPANY
Primary 1: n/a
Primary 2: n/a
Secondary 1: Port BA American Sour w/Raspberries
Secondary 2: Baltic Porter
Now On Tap: New Zealand IPA, Belgian Dark Strong w/Anise & Cinnamon, Imperial Red Ale
Upcoming Brews: Port BA American Sour w/Cherries, Doppelbock, Belgian Golden Strong, Peanut Butter Imperial Porter