Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Dry Extract vs. Syrup extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2011, 07:36 PM   #11
bmock79
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

is there a difference in flavors if you save some extract for the end of the boil as opposed to adding it all in the beginning or is it strictly appearance?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2011, 07:42 PM   #12
JonK331
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Adding it at the beginning will lead to more caramelized flavors. I prefer to add it at the end and control the caramel flavors with cartel malt. Another thing to note is that dme keeps much better than lme. So if there is any question of how ling the extract has been sitting in the lhbs, go with dme.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:48 PM   #13
bmock79
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

thanks a bunch jonk

Old 02-07-2011, 03:52 AM   #14
poto101
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownBrewer View Post
DME will clump together, but won't scorch. LME is much easier to add to the boil, but it can scorch & harden on your kettle. It's just a personal preference on which to use. You'll get the same results.

Have a stirring spoon in one hand & your bag of DME in the other. Slowly pour the DME in while stirring because it will clump together if you add too much at once. In my experiences, leaving it on or off the burner didn't make much of a difference on reducing clumping if you're already at a boil.

+1 on adding half at the end of the boil if you're looking for a lighter color.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk
When using DME, my technique is to pour the DME into a (large) bowl before adding it. I have had issues with the steam of the boil causing my DME to clump in the bag, making it difficult to pour. To solve this I just put it into a bowl and pour it in slowly while stirring (with the burner off of course). No more clumps.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:10 PM   #15
CTownBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by poto101 View Post
When using DME, my technique is to pour the DME into a (large) bowl before adding it. I have had issues with the steam of the boil causing my DME to clump in the bag, making it difficult to pour. To solve this I just put it into a bowl and pour it in slowly while stirring (with the burner off of course). No more clumps.
That's a good idea. Last time I used DME I got 95% of it out of the bag before it started to clump in the bag itself from the steam. I'm sure I lost a couple ounces due to that. However, I was making a barleywine targeted at 12.5%, so if it comes in slightly short, I won't be too disappointed.
Secondary 1
: Port BA American Sour w/Raspberries
Secondary 2: Baltic Porter
Now On Tap: New Zealand IPA, Belgian Dark Strong w/Anise & Cinnamon, Imperial Red Ale
Upcoming Brews: Port BA American Sour w/Cherries, Doppelbock, Belgian Golden Strong, Peanut Butter Imperial Porter

Old 02-07-2011, 03:25 PM   #16
TheSeether
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I keep a pot on the other stove burner. When I'm ready to make a DME addition I first put it in this pot and add 1 quart of water. I stir this on high heat until it begins to boil at which point it becomes all liquid and I can easily pour it into the boil kettle with zero clumping. The additional water has to be factored into initial kettle volume and the target batch volume.

The few times I used LME I simply heated the sealed can in hot water (180F+). This really softens the syrup and it will pour and mix in the kettle much easier.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:05 AM   #17
Dodgertown
Recipes 

Interesting, thanks for all ht input guys.

Quick Reply