Last days to enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Dropped in the Wrong Hops!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2008, 05:09 PM   #1
Brewkowski
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default Dropped in the Wrong Hops!!

I was distracted and trying to do two batches at once and I dropped in my Fuggle hops for 60 min instead of my Phoenix. Although Fuggle has a low AA, I thought it would still cause my IBU to go over the general standard, so I added the the Phoenix with 45 minutes remaining. I did add Fuggle at the end for the aroma again. It's a Nut Brown Ale. I'm not sure if it really matters since the aroma hops were so low. Worse case, a little higher IBU than expected?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2008, 05:24 PM   #2
somecallmetim
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

RDWHAHB. there is no point in worrying now. But if you want us to tell you how badly you screwed the pooch we need a recipe, & the AA of the hops you actually added...

Old 12-18-2008, 08:47 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

It would also depend on the amount you used.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-20-2008, 04:45 PM   #4
Brewkowski
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

It was a Nut Brown Ale recipe

6.6 lbs Pale LME
.5 lb Crystal 40
.5 lb flaked wheat
.4 lb Choc Malt
.25 lb Biscuit Malt
.25 lb Honey Malt
1 oz Phoenix Hops - 10%
1 oz Fuggles Hops - 4.5%
Wyeast 1056

--I did end up adding another 1oz of Fuggle just before flame out to give it aroma without any additional IBU. Does that make sense to do?

Also, my recipe had orginally called for .25lb Brown Sugar, but I skipped that. I'm sure the brew won't be undrinkable, but would the extra hops make a big difference in the bittering? Thanks

Old 12-20-2008, 05:01 PM   #5
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

It will be a little hoppier than I like in a brown but since your name is hophead it should work very nice.

In Beer Smith the fuggles at 60 changes the IBUs from 26.9 to 41.5. Looks like it came out to be a well balanced American Brown ale.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:23 PM   #6
Brewkowski
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Well, I transferred it to secondary the other day and finally got the chance to taste it. The hops is definitely very much at the front of everything, hiding most of the malt flavor that I was really hoping for. I'm really bummed so far, because I thought I had a good profile going for a toasty and nutty brown ale. Any chance that the hop flavor will fade gradually over time? I do like hops, and it tastes like it might be a nice brown, hoppy ale, just not what I was going for. Basic stats are around 36 IBU, 21 SRM, FG 1.013, I used Wyeast 1056 American Ale. With the over hopping did I pretty much just make an APA?

Old 01-09-2009, 04:56 PM   #7
maltMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hophead75 View Post
Well, I transferred it to secondary the other day and finally got the chance to taste it. The hops is definitely very much at the front of everything, hiding most of the malt flavor that I was really hoping for. I'm really bummed so far, because I thought I had a good profile going for a toasty and nutty brown ale. Any chance that the hop flavor will fade gradually over time? I do like hops, and it tastes like it might be a nice brown, hoppy ale, just not what I was going for. Basic stats are around 36 IBU, 21 SRM, FG 1.013, I used Wyeast 1056 American Ale. With the over hopping did I pretty much just make an APA?
Actually you just made an American Brown Ale, which is hoppier than it's English counterpart. The hop flavor will fade over time, but it will probably take awhile, and it will only fade so much. Give it a few months bottled or kegged, and I bet it will be pretty good.

Quick Reply