Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Doing my first pumpkin tomorrow - strain out the pumpkin or no?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2011, 01:55 AM   #11
joshtbuff
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I'm wonder what is a good recipe to do a pumpkin ale. I want to do one soon to have early November or to take on thanksgiving. I would liketo use extract, but haven't seen a good recipe. maybe I need to do some more digging.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2011, 03:22 AM   #12
CidCitrus
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Look up thunderstruck in the search. i just brewed it, bottling this thursday. it's a 6-gallon recipe but i got some foamstop at the lhbs and didn't have to use a blow-off in my ale pail. tasted good out of primary and smelled really good after racking onto the spices

Old 09-20-2011, 03:54 PM   #13
remman4
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I am going to try my own take on this recipe...

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 lb Gold Liquid Extract (10.0 SRM) Extract 50.8 %
3.30 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 28.0 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.2 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 4.2 %
2.00 oz Mt. Hood [6.00%] (60 min) Hops 34.1 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (5 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
2.00 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
60.00 oz Pumpkin (Boil 60.0 min) Misc
1.50 lb Brown Sugar, Light (8.0 SRM) Sugar 12.7 %
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

I am using 6 lb Pale LME and 3 lb Amber DME for fermentables, and I am adding 0.5 lbs of Special B malt as an additional specialty grain
I am going to use fresh pumpkin instead of canned and I will roast it first before adding it to the boil in large grain bags to reduce trub
I am going to use different pumpkin pie spice than listed in this recipe and I will modify amounts based on aroma/taste
Oh and I couldn't find Wyeast 1056 at Listermann's so I picked Safale US-05 instead

Old 09-20-2011, 11:58 PM   #14
jzech79
Recipes 

I just transfered my pumpkin to my secondary. I used 60oz of pumpkin (roasted with spices and 2lbs brown sugar for 1/2 hour) also straight into the boil. 1/2 at 30minutes and remainder at 45 minutes. Wish I would have used the bags, had 1 gallon of trub. I did not expect this much, I added extra 60oz of water to the primary. Oh well, a sample tasted good, pretty spicy but not overpowering. Bottle next week, condition and drink up.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:20 AM   #15
kcross13
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Just brewed mine today. Mashed with pumpkin in small grain bag, rinsed during sparge and then added to boil. Two nice sweat pumpkins.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:52 AM   #16
Strangelove
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just sampled a bottle of MW pumpkin ale that's been in the bottle 2 weeks after 3 weeks in the primary. I think it needs more time, but it tasted pretty good. I did leave the 60 oz of canned pumpkin in the primary. My only complaint is that there was a gallon of waste in the bottom of the fermenter. A bit more in the bottom of the bottles than usual in my (limited) experience.

Primary 4: Extra Hard Lemonade
On Deck:
SECONDARY:
Bottle Conditioning: MW Belgian Honey, Edwort's Apfelwein, MW Bourbon Barrel Old Ale, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, BM's Hooked on Bitters, Beecave Haus Pale Ale
Drinking: Yooper's Stone Ruination Clone, BM's SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde, BM's Kona Fire Rock Clone,

Old 11-05-2011, 06:05 PM   #17
zandrsn
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yeah I'm still deciding on this myself... To bag or not to bag... I've heard arguments for both, but I'm wondering if leaving the pumpkin in the primary actually makes much taste difference. Thoughts?

Old 11-05-2011, 10:18 PM   #18
Strangelove
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm saving this brew for thanksgiving, but I've had a couple over the month or two just to see how it's coming along. The beer is more pumpkin-colored than most, but I can't really say that it tastes like any baked pumpkin thing I've eaten (pie, bread, cookie, etc). So if you're doing it for taste alone, I say bag it.

Primary 4: Extra Hard Lemonade
On Deck:
SECONDARY:
Bottle Conditioning: MW Belgian Honey, Edwort's Apfelwein, MW Bourbon Barrel Old Ale, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, BM's Hooked on Bitters, Beecave Haus Pale Ale
Drinking: Yooper's Stone Ruination Clone, BM's SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde, BM's Kona Fire Rock Clone,

Old 11-06-2011, 01:17 AM   #19
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by zandrsn View Post
Yeah I'm still deciding on this myself... To bag or not to bag... I've heard arguments for both, but I'm wondering if leaving the pumpkin in the primary actually makes much taste difference. Thoughts?
I'd say definitely bag the pumpkin. However, I did my first AG pumpkin 2 weeks ago, still in the fermenter, and I put the pumpkin in the mash as most do. Personally, I think for pumpkin ale's AG is easier as you mash the pumpkin in with the grains, then sparge, and don't have to really worry about it. I used one can less pumpkin then my extract recipe and can actually smell the pumpkin, not meaning the spices but the actual pumpkin, out of the airlock. I can't wait to try it.

But, if I were doing an extract pumpkin again I would bag it with a fine mesh bag and steep it with the steeping grains (in a separate bag).

Rev.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:45 PM   #20
zandrsn
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Great, thanks for the advice!

Barrel-aging: Clamberskull's Revenge RIS
Bottled: Winter is Coming RIS,La Mort Rouge Grand Cru Flanders Red, Northern Soul Imperial Brown Ale, Roncevaux 9 Quad, Squeeze my Lemon Summer Ale, North Woods ESA, Porch Days Earl Grey Ale, Sol Invictus Clementine Melomel, Fall's Ephemera Apple Witbier, Graf of Gilead, Solstice Moon Blueberry Melomel

Quick Reply