Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Doing my first pumpkin tomorrow - strain out the pumpkin or no?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2011, 03:15 AM   #1
Rev2010
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Default Doing my first pumpkin tomorrow - strain out the pumpkin or no?

I'm using Libby's canned pumpkin in my boil. Should I bother to strain out the pumpkin or dump it in my primary? I'm using the Cooper's fermenter and my only concern is the pumpkin trub might be higher than the spigot and cause me to not be able to take a hydro sample or bottle from the fermenter. I have more fermenters and a siphon so I can still bottle but was wondering. I'd think straining would be a nightmare.

Rev.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2011, 03:18 AM   #2
SouthernCross
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I use a whole pumpkin chunked up when I make pumpkin ale. I always dump into primary. With canned, as I understand, it's a drama to strain. Sorry no firsthand on that one.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Primary 1 - Pale Ale - Hoggetown Ale Works recipe
Primary 2 -

Secondary -

Bottled - Pumpkin Ale bottled and in T-A-D
Kegged & Tapped - Over-hopped Honey Wheat, Christmas Wit
Kegged & Carbing - Steam Clone

Old 09-18-2011, 12:49 AM   #3
Rev2010
Recipes 

Well, everything went awesome! Except for spilling a cup or so of wort when I poured a little too quickly into my fermenter. Boy, the things forgotten in only a 3 months brewing hiatus. I missed my target OG of 1.065 and got 1.060. Since there was 60oz of pumpkin and I put it all in my fermenter (no straining) I figured I'd add 60oz of extra water. No biggie though. It smelled amazing and tasted awesome from the hydro sample!! I went with 1 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp nutmeg, and 1/2 tsp cloves.

Rev.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:50 PM   #4
ivorytowerbrewco
Recipes 

I strained out all the pumpkin following the boil, and now I'm not sure it was worth the effort. It smells awesome, the hydro sample tasted pretty good, too; but i think i should have just left it in the primary.

ymmv, but i'd say dont bother straining.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:16 PM   #5
Rev2010
Recipes 

Yeah, I didn't. I just put it all in the primary. I have to say I am so excited about this one, it's bubbling away nicely (I double pitched) and the smell out of the airlock is perfect. Even the taste out of the hydro, which usually tastes pretty crappy being all the sugars are still present, tasted amazing. And, it will be ready right for Halloween weekend.

Rev.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:36 PM   #6
DodginBUIs
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

for future reference, or anyone else interested, i baked 60oz of canned pumpkin for about an hour at 350, then put it in a muslin bag and put it in the boil. I was very surprised to find that the majority of the pumpkin mush stayed in the bag when i pulled it out. It didnt really make the mess I expected and there was hardly any pumpkin trub in the primary, just the normal yeast mess. I will definitely use the muslin bag method again, I couldnt imagine dumping it in there by itself and straining it out.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:03 PM   #7
kcross13
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Do we all roast our pumpkins?

Old 09-19-2011, 09:05 PM   #8
Rev2010
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodginBUIs View Post
I will definitely use the muslin bag method again, I couldnt imagine dumping it in there by itself and straining it out.
I did the same thing with baking the 60oz for an hour at 350. But I put it all in my fermenter. This is my first time doing a pumpkin but overall I came to the conclusion it shouldn't be a big issue for me. I would think the pumpkin will settle to the bottom of the fermenter. if that's not the case, oh well so what... I get more pumpkin in my beer!

Rev.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:07 PM   #9
trebor
Recipes 

Default roasted kin

No....I have baked a raw pumpkin for the amopunt of tim it takes to soften the squash. I have used cannned raw organic with great results. I use a nylon bag at the boil. ..saves a lot of problems with the trub.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:49 AM   #10
drocu
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just started a pumpkin ale too using a canned raw organic brand which was all I could find. I wish I'd used a nylon bag to keep some of the pumpkin out but I think it'll settle in the primary.

Does everyone add spice at flame out? I was going to rack onto some spices for a secondary. I plan on boiling some cinnamon, nutmeg, and perhaps some cloves/allspice which I'll add to the secondary but have no idea how much. I want more spiciness than you can get commercially but don't want to end up with something like a Christmas ale.

Quick Reply