Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Does everyones extract beer taste right?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2006, 12:56 PM   #11
Steve973
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Ok, so you used John Bull Light liquid malt extract? If this is a porter, I assume that you steeped grains for your additional flavor and color? I'm asking because I when I was brewing extracts, I always went for the lightest extract possible, then steeped grains for color and flavor. I found that the darker the extract, the worse the result.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2006, 01:47 PM   #12
Todd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve973
Ok, so you used John Bull Light liquid malt extract? If this is a porter, I assume that you steeped grains for your additional flavor and color? I'm asking because I when I was brewing extracts, I always went for the lightest extract possible, then steeped grains for color and flavor. I found that the darker the extract, the worse the result.
the beer I did was a scotch ale, I used 7 pounds of john bull light LME and 3 pounds of light DME. Plus I steeped a pound of crystal 60.

I want to do a porter next.

Old 08-29-2006, 02:59 PM   #13
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

FWIW, a Scotch Ale is not a very good first brew, IMHO--it's big, takes a long time to taste it's best, and because the hops element is quite minimal, any little flaw is going to be obvious. (Or, put another way, higher hops leves can mask small "defects.")

I would say, get started right away on that porter, and give the big beer plenty of time.

My advice would be to purchase a kit from Morebeer.com, Austin Homebrew, or Northern Brewer--those guys do huge volume business, and the LME you get from them will be fresh and won't be in a can. Or use a recipe calling for all DME.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 08-29-2006, 03:31 PM   #14
Todd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweston
FWIW, a Scotch Ale is not a very good first brew, IMHO--it's big, takes a long time to taste it's best, and because the hops element is quite minimal, any little flaw is going to be obvious. (Or, put another way, higher hops leves can mask small "defects.")

I would say, get started right away on that porter, and give the big beer plenty of time.

My advice would be to purchase a kit from Morebeer.com, Austin Homebrew, or Northern Brewer--those guys do huge volume business, and the LME you get from them will be fresh and won't be in a can. Or use a recipe calling for all DME.
Thanks that is what I'll do. Is there a porter that you would recomend?

Quick Reply