Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Does everyones extract beer taste right?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2006, 08:36 PM   #1
Todd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Does everyones extract beer taste right?

I seem to be having some problems with off flavors of some sort, does you guys beer taste good? I've yet to actually have a good homebrew, would anyone be willing to let me sample thiers that taste right?

I have a thread in the begginer forum describing what is going on, basically it is some bad taste I think is due to the extract, specifically LME.

If someone has a good porter that I could taste I'd like to try and duplicate it to see if I even can. At this point I'm not sure I want to brew another.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2006, 09:02 PM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Too bad you didn't ask a couple of weeks ago. I was in York, PA The week before last and in DC/Alexandria the week prior to that. Sorry.

Old 08-28-2006, 09:05 PM   #3
Todd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

tHAT SUCKS FOR ME. I just tasted my brew..

Old 08-28-2006, 09:09 PM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 355 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Don't get discouraged, I think it's likely based on your other post that the beer is just too young. It's barely been a month, and beers with OGs that high (1.08 is pretty big) need more time.

I'd recommend that you give it another shot, but maybe do something a little more straightforward. I don't know what kind of beer you like, but something a little smaller, something without extras like brown sugar. Maybe an APA or something like that. Try using DME instead of LME. Your other recipe didn't have any steeping grains; find a recipe that has some crystal or something.

Even better, buy a Brewer's Best kit, or something similar (not a pre-hopped extract kit). Get something in a style you like that has some grains, has LME and/or DME, has the right yeast, all of that. There are some veru good kits around, I think AustinHomeBrew is well-regarded, Northern Brewer... someone else can chime in.

EDIT: My bad, I missed the 1# of crystal. Still, that's less crystal than I've tended to use, especially in relation to how much LME you've got. I'd still try a kit before I gave up.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Last edited by the_bird; 08-28-2006 at 09:11 PM.

Old 08-28-2006, 09:11 PM   #5
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

What brand of extract do you use? I have a growing suspicion about one particular brand of them not producing as good a brew as others. PM me if you are not comfortable about posting it.

Old 08-28-2006, 09:12 PM   #6
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 355 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 95

He's posted that already, it's John Bull light.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 08-29-2006, 12:10 AM   #7
Orpheus

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

I don't know that using LME would be to blame. Lots of brewers make excellent beers using LME, and win awards with these beers. It could be a particular brand of LME, as one person here said.

Old 08-29-2006, 02:05 AM   #8
Exo

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Try a lighter beer. 1.08 is a monster!

I've been very happy with my SNPA Clone...my Pale-Ass Ale. VERY tasty. Also, a quick beer to mature. Your 1.08 monster might take 2 months or more to age properly.

You may also want to re-visit your sanitation. ANYTHING that touches your wort with 15min remaining in the boil must be sanitized. Star-San is the shiz-nit.

Order from a reputable online supply store and hand-pick your ingredients. You won't be dissapointed.

Wasp Bitten IPA (a Walker-San clone);Cheesefood's Caramel Creme; Wee Heavy Scottish Ale;
Bottled/Conditioning:
Flyin' Hornet Pale Ale(Mirror Pond clone);Oktoberfest Ale
Drinking:
Boom-Boom Apricot Hefeweisen; Forbidden Ale;Pale-Ass Ale (SNPA Clone); Ol' Man Winter Ale
On-deck:
Dead Guy clone
Planning:
Walker's Espresso Stout; BrewPastor's Bastard Lager
Quote:
But honey, how else am I going to get enough bottles for my next batch? *burp*...*fart*

Old 08-29-2006, 12:39 PM   #9
fezzman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I tend to agree that you just need to sit on your beer a bit longer...that it will taste better with age.

I had a similiar experience very recently. When I bottled my first batch ever, American Amber, I filled various sized bottles including a little 6oz bottle. My purpose for the 6oz bottle was to test carbonation without wasting a whole 12oz.

On Friday night I cracked open that 6oz after only 5 days in the bottle. There was a thin head but the carbonation was nice. It tasted pretty mighty fine, I might add. Then I threw two 12oz bottles in the freezer to drink later. Needless to say, I couldn't manage to choke them down...they tasted horrible.

Then I had a possible reason why they tasted so bad compared to the 6oz. There was more fluid in the 12oz and thus more priming sugar which hadn't fermented yet. I'm thinking that's why they tasted so bad. So last night I cracked open two more 12 oz bottles and gave them a taste. Ahhh, much better. Not quite all the way to tasting proper but a definite improvement.

So, I'm in agreement with the_bird that you just need to wait it out a bit. That high of a gravity brew is bound to take some time to mature.

Edit: Is there any truth to my theory on the size of the bottle? It sounded good at the time. lol

Last edited by fezzman; 08-29-2006 at 12:58 PM.

Old 08-29-2006, 12:50 PM   #10
Todd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok guys I'll give it some more time.

This first batch was kind of a mess.

I tried to do a belhaven scotch ale clone but the hbs didn't have a lot of what I needed. I should have probably just done something else.

I really like porters, I'd say that is my favorite style. At this point I don't think I'm going to brew another till I can taste someones that is good.

Quick Reply