Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > DME vs. LME

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2009, 05:22 PM   #21
carl spakler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post
lol, i think it's like this:

lme < DME < AG

Sadly, another misinformed opinion here. A good brewer can make excellent beer with any of those three options. There are far too many AG snobs perpetuating myths like this.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:17 PM   #22
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 113 Posts

No ****, I make a partial mash batch or extract batches just about every week and some of them, including my dunkelweizen, are my best beers.

But you ABSOLUTELY DO NOT have the versatility you do with all-grain. There are certain beers you cannot make with extract. There are certain grains you can't use. You can't adjust mash temperature to give different flavors, dextrins, drier beers, etc. You can't first wort hop or use mash hops. The list goes on and on.

Sure, there are tricks extract brewers can use to emulate certain things, but it's simply not the same thing.

I didn't say that all-grain always made better beer. I said that all-grain was BETTER (actually I was just visually having fun.) This is due to many reasons and is, of course, subjective.

Misinformed my ass...I only speak from experience, there is far too much incorrect information out there, alot of it printed and widely distributed, not to mention the rambling that goes on in internet forums.

You want to call people names, you better get your facts straight on what they represent. Don't assume that anyone said "you can't make good beer with extract", either...you obviously read far too much into a little joke.

When it comes down to it, there are limits with extract. There are no limits with all-grain.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2009, 05:19 PM   #23
Arkador
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl spakler View Post

Sadly, another misinformed opinion here. A good brewer can make excellent beer with any of those three options. There are far too many AG snobs perpetuating myths like this.
Extract brews win competitions all the time...

Old 08-21-2009, 09:17 PM   #24
Token
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Sorry Carl, but you're out in left field here. DeathBrewer is an avid brewer and is wonderful about sharing his experience/knowledge regarding all types of brewing. He is by no means an AG snob. Always look before you leap or, as in this case, refer to DB as an AG snob.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:15 PM   #25
zman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NQ3X View Post
If you ask me, it's about ease of use.

It's a lot simpler to portion out fractions of a package of DME - every try to get a half-pound of LME out of a Munton's tin? You can just snip the corner of a DME bag and tap out enough powder into a bowl.

Liquid yields also less fermentable product per pound than dry, if your storage space is limited.

Finally, liquid extracts don't have anywhere near the shelf life of dry.

According to Palmer:
The freshness of the extract is important, particularly for the syrup. Beer brewed with extract syrup more than a year old will often have a blunt, stale, even soapy flavor to it. This is caused by the oxidation of the fatty acid compounds in the malt. Dry malt extract has a better shelf life than the liquid because the extra de-hydration slows the pertinent chemical reactions. *
I prefer dry simply because of ease of use, but that paragraph should give syrup users pause. Many LHBSs don't turn over enough inventory to avoid long shelf storage; make sure you check the package carefully.

* HowToBrew.com Chapter Three.
ON the shelf life aspect I am no expert but I recently made a porter with 4 year old extract that was part of a Williams Brewing Kit that I got as a part of a CL score

Damn you Extract Brewing Snobs!!!! You go squish now...lol

Last edited by zman; 08-21-2009 at 10:19 PM.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:32 AM   #26
bakins
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

FWIW, I got 55# of light DME for $100 during a group grain buy.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:52 PM   #27
justflow1983
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If anyone's interested, this has an interesting take on DME... basically their view is you shouldn't worry too much about the extract and make up the flavour profile using your steeping grains/partial mash. The article is about converting recipes but the first part talks about flavour:

All Grain to Extract Conversion | Brew Dudes

Old 11-17-2009, 08:39 PM   #28
PatientZero
Recipes 

The precise measurement that I've found is 17%, not 20%. But unless you're using the metric system, that could get intensely confusing. 20% is fine for all intents and purposes.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:44 PM   #29
craven_morhead
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

As to preference, I like LME since I get it fresh and in bulk from the LHBS. If my options were canned LME or purchasing online, I would go with DME.

Primary: Cascade/Amarillo IPA

Old 11-18-2009, 10:27 AM   #30
carl spakler
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope2perc View Post
Sorry Carl, but you're out in left field here. DeathBrewer is an avid brewer and is wonderful about sharing his experience/knowledge regarding all types of brewing. He is by no means an AG snob. Always look before you leap or, as in this case, refer to DB as an AG snob.
Avid brewer doesn't mean a damn thing when he throws out inaccurate statements like that. I don't care if you work for a brewery, you don't get a free pass on spreading misinformation because you brew often.

Quick Reply