Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > DME has to be the stickiest sh*t I've ever seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2005, 03:46 AM   #21
Cheesefood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts

You're scaring me! I'm planning on going all DME for my next.

Liquid Malt is just as bad. That crap gets EVERYWHERE and it doesn't clean up. When I poured my last batch from pot to primary, I spilled some on the floor. Luckily we were getting new flooring the next week. I washed the floor three times and I was still sticking to the floor each time I walked through the kitchen. I'm almost convinced it's worth the contamination risk to rack in the garage.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2005, 05:57 AM   #22
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
You're scaring me! I'm planning on going all DME for my next...
When I was doing extracts (what, maybe up until a month ago!) I liked DME better than LME, depending on the recipe. And I like domestic LMEs - Breiss, Northwestern - better than some of the imports. Maybe it has something to do with freshness, I'm not sure. My HBS seems to rotate their John Bull stock quiclky, and I'd had good results with it.

I just think DME makes for a 'cleaner' extract beer, if that makes any sense. I have no scientific proof to back that up, however.

Hey, BTW, I went to Brew & Grow in Schaumburg after work tonight. Nice place! And the owner (I think he was the owner) gave out free samples of homebrew. I had three different styles and they were all very good. I loved his mild 'old' ale!

Old 07-23-2005, 02:49 PM   #23
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoobarb
Hey, BTW, I went to Brew & Grow in Schaumburg after work tonight. Nice place! And the owner (I think he was the owner) gave out free samples of homebrew. I had three different styles and they were all very good. I loved his mild 'old' ale!
Awesome! Next time you're feeling adventurous, go have lunnch at The Assembly in Hoffman. They make a damn good homebrew and burgers that rival anything I've had anywhere.

B&G is a good place. A bit high on price, but good selection and knowledgeable folk working there. There's some interesting characters who go there for the Grow section. Probably not too many of them growing tomatoes in their basement which require the High Pressure Sodium lights they're buying.

Old 07-23-2005, 03:02 PM   #24
El Pistolero

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
B&G is a good place. A bit high on price, but good selection and knowledgeable folk working there. There's some interesting characters who go there for the Grow section. Probably not too many of them growing tomatoes in their basement which require the High Pressure Sodium lights they're buying.
Are their guys in black SUV's sitting outside writing down the license plate numbers of everyone who goes into that place?

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Old 08-05-2005, 01:47 AM   #25
swh127
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsmonkey
Alaskaal(e)- does she have a sister?
BBQ BREW- That's one cool label!
DME is horrible stuff to work with. I have problems with it forming a "beard" on the bag while I'm pouring it. The steam hits it and it takes on a life of it's own, but that's the beauty of it. Without it , I'd have to be brewing A.G. by now. That's scary.
very new to brewing yet (stuff is still in the mail). I ran a search but it camp up empty. What is DME??

Old 08-05-2005, 02:07 AM   #26
Kephren

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swh127
very new to brewing yet (stuff is still in the mail). I ran a search but it camp up empty. What is DME??
Dry Malt Extract. Also referred to as "Spray" Malt every now and then.

Old 08-05-2005, 02:09 AM   #27
swh127
Recipes 

Thanks

Old 08-29-2005, 09:57 PM   #28
Scanderson
Recipes 

I'm still in the extract brewing mode, having just bottled my first brew (a big chewy porter), and transferred my "wheat" to the secondary this weekend.

I used LME on the porter, and found that if I put it into some water, still sealed up, at about 150 degrees or so as I was steeping specialty grains, that it came out pretty well when time to boil.

The second batch was DME, a light Breiss (sp?), and I got the "bag beard" too, but just dipped it into the boil and let it melt off after the bag was empty.

Having fun brewing, found this set of boards in some Google searches, trying to find more Grolsch style bottles. You guys seem to have a good handle on the craft, and I'm always looking for new stuff!

Steven

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS