*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Dishwasher to sanitize bottles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2009, 03:10 PM   #11
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2169 Times on 1550 Posts
Likes Given: 1197

I still dip my bottles in Starsan, but I use the dishwasher rack at a bottle tree. I have the sanitize cycle and could probably use it to sanitize, but dipping in starsan is only a few more seconds.

Lots of people use a vinator spray device to get starsan into their bottles, then place on tree or rack.

Whatever you do, if you try using the dishwasher to remove labels, expect some of them to come off and clog the drain...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2009, 03:59 PM   #12
HoppyDaze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1239 Times on 938 Posts
Likes Given: 657

Does anyone actually put the vinator on top of the tree while cleaning bottles. It looks like there is a cheaper bottle tree that wont fit to the Ferrari vinator. Im just wondering if it even matters...

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Advice for posting

Old 01-13-2009, 06:29 PM   #13
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 458 Times on 386 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I too fooled around w/ the dishwasher for sanitizing botttles years ago. For my time, energy and assurance that the bottles are sanitized, I feel swishing and ounce or two of starsan is just as easy and probably more effective. Last time I bottled a few years ago, all I would do is add a small amount of starsan to each bottle w/ a turkey baster. Then cover the bottle top w/ your thumb and shake to wet the entire inside of the bottle. Drain and fill...prettty fast, easy and effective!

The required contact time for starsan is like 30 seconds i believe. A batch of bottles can be effectively sanitized w/ just a couple quarts of solution. IMO there is no real need to mix up say five gallons and soak the bottles, this practice becomes laborious!

Last edited by wilserbrewer; 01-13-2009 at 06:31 PM.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:33 PM   #14
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2169 Times on 1550 Posts
Likes Given: 1197

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
I too fooled around w/ the dishwasher for sanitizing botttles years ago. For my time, energy and assurance that the bottles are sanitized, I feel swishing and ounce or two of starsan is just as easy and probably more effective. Last time I bottled a few years ago, all I would do is add a small amount of starsan to each bottle w/ a turkey baster. Then cover the bottle top w/ your thumb and shake to wet the entire inside of the bottle. Drain and fill...prettty fast, easy and effective!

The required contact time for starsan is like 30 seconds i believe. A batch of bottles can be effectively sanitized w/ just a couple quarts of solution. IMO there is no real need to mix up say five gallons and soak the bottles, this practice becomes laborious!

Yes, I pour a bit of it from my spray bottle into a bottle, and then bottle to bottle. I add fresh sanitizer back into my spray bottle when I brew my next batch.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:48 AM   #15
carl spakler
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I too use a dishwasher, ours does have a "sanitize" setting which I use along with "added heat" and "heated dry" options. I've yet to have a problem, though that doesn't prove anything, just my experiences. I do have a bottle washer and tree that I do use sometimes, generally on bottles that have crud in them or after a batch of label removals.

I've found the dishwasher technique far faster than any other way, short of having the hired help do it of course. I fill the dishwasher and let it go, total time spent by me is probably 2-3 minutes, I defy you to wash a batch of 50 bottles by hand that quickly. As others have stated it is key that start with a clean bottle as the jets may not remove any dried on yeast sludge from previous batches.

As for turning the water heater up, you might want to check your dishwasher, many new models take cold water in and use an internal heater to get the water up to temp. No adjustment to the house water heater will do anything to impact dishwasher water temp if there is only a cold water line going to to the appliance.

-Gunga galunga

Old 01-14-2009, 11:48 AM   #16
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4505 Times on 3276 Posts
Likes Given: 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoserama View Post
Does anyone actually put the vinator on top of the tree while cleaning bottles. It looks like there is a cheaper bottle tree that wont fit to the Ferrari vinator. Im just wondering if it even matters...
I'm pretty short, so I just put the vinator on the island next to the bottling tree, and use it that way. I've never actually put the vinator on top, even though it fits.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:17 PM   #17
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I use the same method as Yooper, and it is about as simple as it gets. I have tried the vinator on top of the tree, but it was too awkward. It's easier to push down on the bottles when the vinator is low, like on the countertop.

I have also used the dishwasher to bottle sanitize when I have done the odd 'half-batch' (3 gallon batch). I must say, it was VERY convenient. But my dishwasher also has a very good sanitizer cycle, and I wouldn't trust the method without one.

If you are looking to see how hot your dishwasher gets, here is a simple method:

Use a digital thermometer that records max/min temperatures. Put it in a REALLY heavy zip-loc bag and toss it in the top rack of your dishwasher, and run it for a cycle.

I actually vacuum sealed the remote probe of my wireless indoor/outdoor thermometer (shown below) and threw that in -- that way I could watch the temps change in real time.

thermometer.jpg

Old 01-14-2009, 06:30 PM   #18
heavysteve
Recipes 

Ive started just dumping some Diversol into the dishwasher, and running on heated dry and extra risne, seems to do the trick

Old 01-14-2009, 06:37 PM   #19
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavysteve View Post
Ive started just dumping some Diversol into the dishwasher, and running on heated dry and extra risne, seems to do the trick
If it is working for you, that's great. Something for others to watch out for, though is that Diversol (aka 'pink stuff' -- popular with winemakers up here in Canuckland) is a chlorine-based sanitizer. If it gets inside your bottles, but doesn't get rinsed out well (possible since the mouth of the bottle is so narrow), then it could lead to off-flavours in your beers, such as the medicinal or band-aid flavours commonly associated with chlorophenols.

I was actually thinking of using SaniClean, or whatever they call that no-foam version of Star San form Five Star Chemicals.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:40 PM   #20
Whisler85
Recipes 

my dishwasher doesnt have a 'sanitize' setting, but it does have a 'high temp wash' setting.

it also has a low-temp/energy-saver dry setting.

i just make sure 'high temp wash' is on, and that 'energy-saver dry' is off. i havent had any problems

it seems to me that, beyond sanitizing, there is no real reason to put the 'high temp wash' setting on the dishwasher.

i think if your dishwasher is older, you might run into more problems- the one in my college apartment didnt seem to get hot enough, and it was obviously an early 90's cheapo

Quick Reply