Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Dishwasher to sanitize bottles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #91
Bryali
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've used my dishwasher for the previous few batches with pretty good results. My next batch I'm going to try StarSan and compare. I load up the bottom rack and run it on a rinse cycle with high-temp wash and steam sanitizing finish. I haven't tried using a thermometer to test the water temp, but it's worked pretty well so far. I like being able to load it up and let it run while I do the rest of my brewing. It's pretty convenient that way.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #92
reno316
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
I still dip my bottles in Starsan, but I use the dishwasher rack at a bottle tree. I have the sanitize cycle and could probably use it to sanitize, but dipping in starsan is only a few more seconds.
That's what I do, too, except I use iodine/water solution instead of Starsan.

-- JRB

Old 10-04-2014, 08:15 PM   #93
edwardgjimenez
Recipes 

What's the best way to clean bottles without a dishwasher? Will a PBW bath and a StarSan bath do the trick?

Old 10-04-2014, 08:42 PM   #94
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 634 Times on 520 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Hot PBW or oxi clean soak, rinse, followed by starsan should do fine.

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Old 10-08-2014, 08:45 PM   #95
Andy_P
Recipes 

Likes Given: 16

I have been running my bottles through the dishwasher. No soap, heated dry setting. It doesn't have a sanitize setting on it though. Seems to be working fine so far.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:00 PM   #96
normonster
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 32 Posts

Rinse well after drinking then Starsan dip....that's all I do. No probs yet

Old 12-13-2014, 01:15 AM   #97
JohnnyNewb
Recipes 

Using a dishwasher with a sanitize setting is the way to go. Any dishwasher with a sanitize setting has to be compliant to NSF/ANSI standard 184 which requires it to reduce bacteria by 99.999% during the sanitize cycle. It also has to do the final rinse at minimum of 150 degrees. This is more than enough to make sure your bottles are clean and don't infect your beer. So unless your dishwasher is broken, I wouldn't hesitate to use it to save some manual labor!

Old 12-14-2014, 07:34 PM   #98
djbradle
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyNewb View Post
Using a dishwasher with a sanitize setting is the way to go. Any dishwasher with a sanitize setting has to be compliant to NSF/ANSI standard 184 which requires it to reduce bacteria by 99.999% during the sanitize cycle. It also has to do the final rinse at minimum of 150 degrees. This is more than enough to make sure your bottles are clean and don't infect your beer. So unless your dishwasher is broken, I wouldn't hesitate to use it to save some manual labor!

This 100%.......And I've found that once deformed Grolsch gaskets expand back to normal with the heat in the sani cycle. I've used Grolsch bottles for upwards of 20 batches and they look good for 20 more.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:19 PM   #99
YanknOnion
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have had infections from using dishwasher. There was a problem with my water supply and although the boil took it out of the wort, the dishwasher put it back in the bottles. Tasted great on bottling day, but...I'll never use dishwasher again!

Old 01-22-2015, 05:44 PM   #100
fun4stuff
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 96

I used to use the dishwasher to clean my wine bottles, but then noticed upon closer inspection specs of sediment in a few of the bottles. Water/crud gets in, but is not always able to get out. So, despite using the dishwasher I always had to check each bottle still rinse a few.... I think the sediment would either be minerals or old soap/food that was in the dishwasher from prior washes. Make sure you clean the filter out at the bottom of your dishwasher!

Now I just avoid the dishwasher all together to save time from checking each bottle. I rinse the bottles immediately after they are empty, soak in oxyclean, and rinse with bleach or star san (depending on what i have on hand) before bottling.

Quick Reply