New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Discount

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2007, 07:18 PM   #1
bigkevj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Discount

Does anyone know of any discount codes to use on Austin Home Brews website to order?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2007, 07:20 PM   #2
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Try "UNETHICAL"

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 10-17-2007, 07:33 PM   #3
Brewing Clamper

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Not trying to start anything, just curious... why unethical?

--Omar

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

Old 10-17-2007, 07:54 PM   #4
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Coupon codes are a touchy issue. I guess if it's public domain, that's cool..but a lot of times, places will offer special discounts to repeat customers or signed-up members, or they'll give you a code for doing something in particular. Now, I don't think it's a cause for concern here because I don't think that AHS has anything going on right now, that I've seen...but I see it as a second cousin to more than one person using an admission ticket. Just depends on the kind of coupon it is...but in certain instances, broadcasting a code that wasn't meant for the general public is ethically questionable IMHO. Yeah, the argument can also be made that if the company wanted to keep it restricted, they'd require some kind of authentication. That's valid. But it still doesn't speak to the ethical question.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 10-17-2007, 07:58 PM   #5
Brewing Clamper

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ah, I understand. I hadn't thought of the non-public coupon code deal. Cool...

--Omar

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

Old 10-19-2007, 03:29 PM   #6
kniles38
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't see how sharing coupon codes is any more unethical than charging different customers different rates for the same product.

Old 10-19-2007, 03:46 PM   #7
Pedro-

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kniles38
I don't see how sharing coupon codes is any more unethical than charging different customers different rates for the same product.
It's a matter of benefits for both you the customer and the store as a business entity.

Seen an ad in a magazine you bought or subscribe to? Use Coupon code "ICMAG" at checkout, and said HomeBrewStore knows their marketing worked and should continue. In the eyes of marketing, the hbs is rewarded for adding another customer and order, and they are passing that reward onto you by giving a discount.

On the HBS's newsletter or frequent shopper list? Enjoy free shipping this month or take $5 off your next order for being a great customer. The store knows they can pass some extra bucks in discounts your way because they will hopefully get repeat business.

In the ethic's argument of a coupon code that was a privilege in the first place is like working for a paycheck, and then photocopying the paycheck and adding all your friend's names to the check and cashing in.

To have gotten the coupon in the first place you somehow must be helping the store, that is the whole reason they can drop off a couple bucks and still stay afloat.

These stores are people.

Ferm: 10 gal Apfelwein :)
Kegged: Wit, Blonde Ale, What Wheat?
Bottled: Apfelwein, Stout
Up Next: ESB, Honey Lager, CCA
Down the Hatch: A whole sh*t-ton!

Old 10-19-2007, 03:56 PM   #8
beerdad
Recipes 

No coupon necessary tomorrow they are having an Oktoberfest sale 10% off everything. You just have to place your order at the right time check their site for details.

Primary #1 Panty Dropper Cider
Primary #2 Honey Brown Ale
Primary #3 Scottish Ale
Secondary #1 Empty
Secondary #2 Panty Dropper Cider
Secondary #3 Empty
Secondary #4 Empty
Bottled European Ale, Corona Clone, Raspberry White Zinfandel, Old English 800 Clone
Drinking Double IPA
More Double IPA it was great!

Old 10-19-2007, 04:02 PM   #9
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts

The coupon code is used to track effectiveness and reach. We do something similar:

When we air a certain commercial in a certain market, we use a certain 800 number. (We have over 580 toll free numbers.) You see the commercial and call that number. AT&T allows us to attach a code to that toll free number that transfers to our system and we store it in our database. Each day, I send a data dump of the previous day's calls to our media buying company who then use those codes to see how well our ads are tracking.

If you write down the number and give it to a friend, guess what? That ad had secondary reach. It hit someone who then encouraged someone else to call our company. Mission accomplished, even though you didn't see the ad. The point is that it caused an action.

Same with coupon codes. They don't care that you bought that paper, they care that the ad caused you to purchase the product (unless the product is the paper.)

So it's not unethical. If someone here sees an ad and tells someone else about it, AHS gets a sale. Otherwise, NorthernBrewer gets a sale. Which do you think AHS would prefer?

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 10-19-2007, 04:55 PM   #10
Pedro-

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
So it's not unethical. If someone here sees an ad and tells someone else about it, AHS gets a sale. Otherwise, NorthernBrewer gets a sale. Which do you think AHS would prefer?
You are right cheese and I agree with that to a point.

With the broadcasting yes it reaches more effectiveness the more it spreads. You are only helping the store there, and I guess I wasn't completely clear (as always).

But it changes when you are talking about reward programs/coupons, loyalty services, feedback perks, etc. If you are a frequent customer, and as such get a sizeable discount then that is definitely a privileged coupon. If you get a 10 or 20 dollar coupon, unrestricted free shipping, or anything of the like that was given to you because you have helped that company with a lot of business that doesn't give you the right to broadcast it. Your loyalty is being rewarded, and in turn they give you a break. That doesn't mean every Joe in the forum gets it because the store sent you an e-mail and cut you a break.

With the privileged discounts and promos, yeah there is an ethics question involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kniles38
Incentives for customers is a major driving factor in ALL business. That is the reason why I can ask for a discount from a manufacturer when my company is ordering 10,000 licenses of software versus 1 copy. If I sign a contract to have 2 million toys to be spread to all of my stores over the next year, your profits through production more than outweigh the problems of shipping costs and customs. Why not cover that cost since you just landed a monster deal and don't need to worry about putting food on the table or the mortgage payment for awhile. OR we could just order toy by toy, day by day, and you could worry if I stop ordering tomorrow and not know if you can put food on the table.

If I order from a store every month, and the store sees that I don't go elsewhere when I certainly could, what's wrong with the store throwing a bone my way to say, "Thank you, we appreciate your business"? Our companies sign into agreements that we will only do business over a period of time with a set company. In return said company give us a nice discount because they know ALL of our ordering is going through them during that time and we are not going elsewhere.

Ferm: 10 gal Apfelwein :)
Kegged: Wit, Blonde Ale, What Wheat?
Bottled: Apfelwein, Stout
Up Next: ESB, Honey Lager, CCA
Down the Hatch: A whole sh*t-ton!

Quick Reply