Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > "Disabled ads"???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2010, 03:16 AM   #11
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 988 Times on 695 Posts
Likes Given: 2054

Let me invite you all to support the site (and not see the ads) by becoming premium members - one year is $25. A wise investment with remarkable returns!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2010, 03:50 AM   #12
KYB
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers View Post
Let me invite you all to support the site (and not see the ads) by becoming premium members - one year is $25. A wise investment with remarkable returns!
This is what keeps the community online, and then some. HBT is not strapped for change. Ads just bring in more money. There are always people forking out $25 or $100 for the super awesome membership (even upon just joining) that give you a super awesome avatar and access to super secret forums. Neato. I would be more inclined to donate if they weren't constantly pestering me to give give give, upgrade, upgrade, upgrade. Awaiting censorship by lock or deletion...

Old 05-06-2010, 04:07 AM   #13
BigHefty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I kinda feel the same way, kinda feel like I'm being badgered to donate. I want to donate and I asked the question if I donate $25 per year for 5 or 6 years, do I then get a lifetime membership? Didn't get an answer to that. Like I said before, I'll ignore the big red sign with the sad dog.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:16 AM   #14
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

You aren't going to get banned or censored for not being happy with a policy unless you get defiantly vocal about it. On the same note, if you don't like the ads or the reminders to upgrade, there is only one way to fix it.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:25 AM   #15
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffro View Post
I want to donate and I asked the question if I donate $25 per year for 5 or 6 years, do I then get a lifetime membership?
I think you'll find that if you rent a house for 25 years those unreasonable bastards don't up and turn the property over to you either! It's almost as if they're giving you something extra simply for ponying up extra funds up front. Madness!

Old 05-06-2010, 04:27 AM   #16
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 988 Times on 695 Posts
Likes Given: 2054

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODaniel View Post
This is what keeps the community online, and then some. HBT is not strapped for change. Ads just bring in more money. There are always people forking out $25 or $100 for the super awesome membership (even upon just joining) that give you a super awesome avatar and access to super secret forums. Neato. I would be more inclined to donate if they weren't constantly pestering me to give give give, upgrade, upgrade, upgrade. Awaiting censorship by lock or deletion...
Your sarcasm is unwarranted, in my opinion. My post was short, straightforward and sincere.

As to the substance of your posts, the owner of the forum has given us two options: use the forum for free and see the ads or pay a modest annual membership and don't see the ads. Either way is a great deal, in my opinion. I chose to pay a membership to avoid the ads and to support the forum, from which I both learn and enjoy.

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"

Old 05-06-2010, 04:35 AM   #17
BigHefty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
I think you'll find that if you rent a house for 25 years those unreasonable bastards don't up and turn the property over to you either! It's almost as if they're giving you something extra simply for ponying up extra funds up front. Madness!
That's not really an accurate comparison. I can mortgage a house and own it after so many years. Why not offer the same here? $125 for a lifetime membership paid at once right? Ok, so if I pay $25 for 6 years, that's $150. Just saying that's all. I certainly appreciate everything I learn here, just haven't found the need to donate yet.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:47 AM   #18
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffro View Post
Ok, so if I pay $25 for 6 years, that's $150. Just saying that's all. I certainly appreciate everything I learn here, just haven't found the need to donate yet.
Well, what I was getting at is that you are being rewarded for paying a lot of money up front, not being punished for making regular annual payments. There's a financial incentive for the owner to get a large sum up front so you get something extra. If he gave the same lifetime membership to everyone after a set number of years, the incentive is removed to donate a lump sum and therefore the additional reward is unnecessary.

Hang around for a bit and I think you'll begin to see why people become members. Don't feel pressured, but once you begin to feel that you need this site to be a better brewer and can't live without it, it might be time for you to get your avatar.

Quick Reply