Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Dead Ringer IPA from Northern Brewer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2013, 03:23 AM   #11
ballsy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Interestingly, I brewed this kit the other month and re-pitched BRY97 I washed from another high gravity beer. Made a 3L starter since re-pitching but had to use LME from the kit b/c had nothing else on hand. Pitched entire starter into chilled wort. OG was off...1.07. Let it sit 2wks then dry hopped 3rd week (didn't rack to secondary) and bottled...was in rush so didn't do usual 4wk. FG was 1.017. 2wks after bottling it was so good I couldn't hold off on waiting longer. I learned a) don't be scared to wash yeast from a high gravity beer to use on another & b) u can use extract from kit for starter in a bind and it really doesn't affect the end taste!

Primary#1: Deadringer Ale
Primary#2: Empty
On deck: White House Honey ale, Nugget SMaSH, Tossed-Yoo Pale ale
Keg 1: Vag-tactic Voyage (RIS)
Keg 2: Janet's imperial brown
Keg 3:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2013, 06:24 PM   #12
ChemicalBrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just checked this one, and I'm at 1.016. Still tastes pretty green. I haven't dry hopped yet, plan on waiting another week and will dry hop in primary. i don't secondary if not absolutely required. It should be in primary for a month at that point. Was a little surprised my sample didn't have more hop flavor. Plenty of bitterness, and I expect the dry hopping to add aroma, but I'm afraid it may lack a little in the flavor department.
Anybody else a find the same thing prior to dry hopping, and how did it end up?

Old 08-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #13
ballsy
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalBrew View Post
I just checked this one, and I'm at 1.016. Still tastes pretty green. I haven't dry hopped yet, plan on waiting another week and will dry hop in primary. i don't secondary if not absolutely required. It should be in primary for a month at that point. Was a little surprised my sample didn't have more hop flavor. Plenty of bitterness, and I expect the dry hopping to add aroma, but I'm afraid it may lack a little in the flavor department.
Anybody else a find the same thing prior to dry hopping, and how did it end up?
I didn't. ..just tasted a bottling and it had more bitter taste. After only 2 weeks in bottle it already had that good grapefruity flavor...with all that Centennial I'm sure you'll be fine!!

Primary#1: Deadringer Ale
Primary#2: Empty
On deck: White House Honey ale, Nugget SMaSH, Tossed-Yoo Pale ale
Keg 1: Vag-tactic Voyage (RIS)
Keg 2: Janet's imperial brown
Keg 3:

Quick Reply