Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Dead Ringer IPA from Northern Brewer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2013, 02:27 AM   #1
SnakeHandlerIIPA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Dead Ringer IPA from Northern Brewer?

Just bottled this beer today and got a FG of 1.022. Is this in the normal range for the recipe? The abv is about 5.5% and I was expecting it to be a little higher. My OG was right on point at 1.064. The sample tasted pretty bland as well, although it was still pretty cold from cold crashing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2013, 03:20 AM   #2
BxBrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 37

There Gold malt extract is blended with Carapils. Carapils doesent ferment out all that well. If using a darker blended LME. Always have some extra light DME on hand to "boost" the OG a bit during the boil. Ive made there Dead ringer a couple of times with good results by doing this. I have gotten away from using boxed kits for the very same reason. I prefer to use ultra light extract " more fermentable" and use the steeping grains for the color and flavor.

Take your ingredient sheet and build off of it. Use it as a foundation. If you are new to brewing. Brew a few fast turn around beers at first "ABV 4-5%"

How long did you ferment it ?

Old 08-18-2013, 04:30 AM   #3
SnakeHandlerIIPA
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the response. This is only my second batch, I probably rushed it a little. I did a week in the primary and then 9 days in the secondary before cold crashing. Are you talking about substituting the extra light DME for the darker stuff that comes with the kit or just adding some in with it?

Old 08-18-2013, 04:36 AM   #4
FlyDoctor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeHandlerIIPA
Thanks for the response. This is only my second batch, I probably rushed it a little. I did a week in the primary and then 9 days in the secondary before cold crashing.
Welcome to the obsession!

A few other non-recipe issues might lead to this. Mainly yeast and oxygenation. If this used a single smack pack or a sprinkled dry yeast pack - there may have not been enough healthy yeast to get this drier. Also, with this type of higher gravity beer, you really need a good oxygen level to start off. You really need to shake the hell out of it for many minutes to get the theoretical max O2 in this, and thats borderline for this beer's gravity. I haven't made this kit before, but I doubt the LME is old or anything like that as NB has a fast turn over. My bet is in yeast and oxygen.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:21 AM   #5
BxBrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeHandlerIIPA View Post
Thanks for the response. This is only my second batch, I probably rushed it a little. I did a week in the primary and then 9 days in the secondary before cold crashing. Are you talking about substituting the extra light DME for the darker stuff that comes with the kit or just adding some in with it?
Its common and i did it too when starting out. Its fine and will be drinkable all the same. Just be careful of bottle bombs ! I add DME during the boil on top of whats in the recipe. It goes in my first addition "read up on late addition extract boils".

From here my advice is to look for fast turn around kits with steeping grains. They tend to be cheaper than the rest. Brew day to pouring a glass can be done in 4 weeks. The lower the ABV % the faster turn around time. Fill the pipe line so that way there is no rush on fermentation.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:22 PM   #6
MikeInMKE
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I'll give you a tip.

The next time you buy a kit from NB, get the dry yeast for the kit. It's cheaper, doesn't require you to make a yeast starter ahead of time (liquid yeast packs has half the yeast cells as a dry yeast pack), and supposedly doesn't require you to aerate your wort at all, unlike liquid yeast.

Primary 1: Maibock
Primary 2: Marzen (Oktoberfest)
Primary 3: Empty
Bottled/Kegged: Grateful Dead Guy, Bourbon Barrel Porter, Oktoberfest, Maibock, Barnyard Brown Ale, EdWort's Robust Porter, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Mosaic APA, Moose Drool clone plus, Raging Red Irish Ale, Galaxy APA, Dead Guy clone

Old 08-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #7
jmeister
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Last time I brewed this kit it finished at 1.016 using dry yeast. Although it sat in the primary for a month before going straight to the keg.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:46 PM   #8
elatowski
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 13

This was my first kit. I want to brew it again now that I've had some more experience.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:24 PM   #9
mat289
Recipes 

I have this in bottles right now. The samples I drew ended up with OG: 1.054, FG: 1.018, so I was a bit disappointed. Post fermentation tasted fairly bland too, so I hope conditioning helps.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:41 AM   #10
ChemicalBrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have this fermenting right now. Been fermenting for 11days at 65F. The OG was 1.065 and I won't take my first FG until around 14 days. Depending on FG I'll dry hop it then. I aerated the crap out of it and pitched hydrated US-05. Should be able to give you an FG for comparison soon.

Quick Reply