Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Day 10, sediment on bottom but not clearing up at all...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2006, 05:05 AM   #1
Beer is good
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Day 10, sediment on bottom but not clearing up at all...

Hello, my beer has been in the carboy for 10 full days since brew day and there is sediment on the bottom but it is really not clearing up at all... is that normal? I feel like i have a jar of mud water or something!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2006, 06:41 AM   #2
steg
Recipes 

Default sediment

Sediment is definately normal depending on how much you siphoned out of the boil... Whats the temp your fermenting at? What yeast? What recipee? How is it bubbling through the air lock? What was the starting gravity? What is the gravity now?

You should be ok to move to a secondary and wait a couple weeks if temps are normal..... But I'm by no means an expert....

Old 08-31-2006, 07:27 AM   #3
steg
Recipes 

Default more to add

Ya may find a better answer on this site....

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter8.html

steg

Old 08-31-2006, 12:55 PM   #4
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Clarity is dependent on several factors. Look into "hot break," "cold break" and the use of clarifying agents like Irish moss and gypsum. But also keep in mind that cloudiness is purely a matter of appearance and will have no relationship to the flavor of your beer. Also, clarity always appears to improve once your beer is in a bottle or glass. In the carboy you are trying to look through about 18 inches of liquid with particulate suspended in it. In a bottle or glass, you will only be looking through maybe two inches. The appearance will be better.

Finally, if clarity above all else is important, you may think about lowering your own expectations. You can make a very clear beer with good technique and great patience but even your best will not be as clear as a commercial beer.

Old 08-31-2006, 04:11 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 125 Posts

There are several products called finings that will clear up your beer. Polyclar, isenglass & gelatin are three of them. Typically, they take 2-3 days to act.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-31-2006, 05:12 PM   #6
Exo

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Looking through a carboy isn't like looking through a pint-glass. Your looking through a lot of liquid and it will definitely look dark despite being a light-colored beer.

Wasp Bitten IPA (a Walker-San clone);Cheesefood's Caramel Creme; Wee Heavy Scottish Ale;
Bottled/Conditioning:
Flyin' Hornet Pale Ale(Mirror Pond clone);Oktoberfest Ale
Drinking:
Boom-Boom Apricot Hefeweisen; Forbidden Ale;Pale-Ass Ale (SNPA Clone); Ol' Man Winter Ale
On-deck:
Dead Guy clone
Planning:
Walker's Espresso Stout; BrewPastor's Bastard Lager
Quote:
But honey, how else am I going to get enough bottles for my next batch? *burp*...*fart*

Quick Reply