New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Czech Pilsner fermenting question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 11:33 PM   #1
PJF
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Czech Pilsner fermenting question.

I recently chose to do a Norther Brewer Czech Pilsner kit. The only deviation I took from their directions was the use of White Labs WLP800 for the yeast.

I cooked it up two weeks ago and everything came out great, I had a SG of 1.051, the directions did not indicate the need to take a SG but I was just curious. I put the carboy in the basement and within 48 hours the airlock was very active. After a week the airlock had slowed to almost a stop but the beer still had a nice krausen on it. The basement has been a consistent 52 degrees the whole time it has been down there which is right in line with what the directions on the vial of WLP800 indicated this yeast performs best at.

Per the instructions that came with the kit I am supposed to rack this off to secondary tomorrow and then lager for 4 weeks at 38-40 degrees.

I just went down and took a sample so I could get a gravity reading. There is a still a krausen on the beer that is about an inch thick, but more surprisingly the gravity was only down to 1.030.

Should I go ahead and stick with the Northern Brewer instructions and rack off to secondary tomorrow? Will the gravity continue to drop over the next 4 weeks of lagering in my wine fridge? Will it drop further when the beer is bottled and sits for the minimum two weeks as recommended in the instructions?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2012, 11:45 PM   #2
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Liked 3847 Times on 2811 Posts
Likes Given: 639

No, do not rack until the beer has been at FG for at least a few days, and after the diacetyl rest!

I'd wait until 1.020, then bring the fermenter upstairs (or somewhere else about 68 degrees) and hold it for 48 hours before checking for diacetyl and FG before racking.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:15 AM   #3
flananuts

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Agreed. Leave it be.

Quick Reply