Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Critique- Belgian Wit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #1
sweed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default Critique- Belgian Wit

3 Gallon Batch

Wheat DME- 3lbs
Extra Light DME- 1 lb
Flaked Oats- .5 lbs
Saaz- .25 oz. 60 mins
Saaz- .75 oz. 15 mins
Cascade 1 oz 5 mins
Corinader seed- 5 mins
Sweet Orange Peel- 5 mins
Yeast- Belgian Witbier Yeast- TBD

OG- 1.054
FG- 1.014
SRM- 4.1
IBU's- 20
ABV- 5.25%

I looked around at a few recipes in the database, and came up with this one. I think it's a pretty basic wit recipe. This is the first time I am not using crystal/ grains to steep, and just the oats. I am guessing I can just steep them for 20-25 mins around 150? The cascade at the end is just for a little flavor/ aroma that I think will turn out good.
I think I will brew this, this weekend.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Looks pretty good. I made a Wit recently and used 2 oz of un-cracked Coriander seed and the flavor was very prominent. I liked it, but some BJCP judges said it was too much for the style. You might try 1 oz. (You should be able to find it pretty cheep if you look around)

If you want some of the crystal/caramel switch the Light DME to Amber. That would be the equivalent of about 3-4oz of Crystal L60. (Most "Amber" malt is essentialy 90% base and 10% Crystal L60)

I would used cooked oatmeal (just as if making it for breakfast) and add that in a muslin bag when you turn the flame on the kettle and remove it when it just starts to boil. With the healthy amount of Wheat you might not need the oatmeal.

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
Woodland Brewing Research Blog Applied Science for Better Beer.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:01 PM   #3
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 855 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 319

Belgian wits would typically not have oats nor Cascade hops. I would suggest using just wheat DME since it would likely have a good percentage of 2 row barley in its production. It also appears that you have little bittering for this batch as the alpha acid in Saaz is pretty low. JMHO, it's your beer.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:08 PM   #4
sweed
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlandBrew View Post
Looks pretty good. I made a Wit recently and used 2 oz of un-cracked Coriander seed and the flavor was very prominent. I liked it, but some BJCP judges said it was too much for the style. You might try 1 oz. (You should be able to find it pretty cheep if you look around)

If you want some of the crystal/caramel switch the Light DME to Amber. That would be the equivalent of about 3-4oz of Crystal L60. (Most "Amber" malt is essentialy 90% base and 10% Crystal L60)

I would used cooked oatmeal (just as if making it for breakfast) and add that in a muslin bag when you turn the flame on the kettle and remove it when it just starts to boil. With the healthy amount of Wheat you might not need the oatmeal.
Thanks, I think the 1 oz. sounds good. I've never used it so I'll take your advice. I want the color to be pretty light, so I left out any crystal. I have a feeling the wheat dme will darken it up some anyways, like with my hefe I made last summer.
Cooked oatmeal- quick oats or old fashion?

Old 03-19-2013, 02:13 PM   #5
sweed
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
Belgian wits would typically not have oats nor Cascade hops. I would suggest using just wheat DME since it would likely have a good percentage of 2 row barley in its production. It also appears that you have little bittering for this batch as the alpha acid in Saaz is pretty low. JMHO, it's your beer.
Right, I just saw a few recipes had oats in it, and thought it would contribute to a good mouthfeel. The cascade something I thought would be different. The ibu's for this are at the high end for the style. I started off with .5oz at 60, but it was in the mid 20's, so I dropped it down.
Thanks for your comments. I always do slight changes to recipes, so maybe once I should follow a true recipe. Like you said it's my beer, and we'll see how it turns out.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:37 PM   #6
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweed View Post
Cooked oatmeal- quick oats or old fashion?
Either way is fine. After they are cooked per the package directions they are pretty much the same thing. The cooking processes is to gelatinizes the starches.

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
Woodland Brewing Research Blog Applied Science for Better Beer.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #7
sweed
Recipes 

So I have decided to make this a 5 gallon batch, and thus changed my recipe a little bit.

Wheat LME 6.6lbs (adding late in boil to keep color lighter)
Extra Light DME 1 lb
Flaked oats- 1 lb
Saaz- 1 oz at 60mins
Cascade .5 oz at 15min and 5 min
Coriander seed- 1 oz
Sweet Orange Peel- 1 oz

OG 1.058
FG 1.014
SRM 4.4
IBU's 15
AVB 5.7

I may add an extra 1/4 - 1/2 gallon of extra water to get those numbers down a little. I could just take out the light dme, but I don't want to have that wheat lme to get any darker. My last (and first) hefe was a little darker than I wanted it to be, but it tasted awesome. Also more beer is better than less beer! I figured these would go quick, and I didn't want to be sad they didn't last as long as I'd like. I am already giving 6 bombers to a friend, and probably a good amount more to friends/ family, so I'd like to enjoy a couple. Excited to brew this tomorrow!

Old 03-22-2013, 06:44 PM   #8
mblanks2
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 40

What yeast do you plan to use?

Old 03-22-2013, 06:59 PM   #9
sweed
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblanks2 View Post
What yeast do you plan to use?
I bought the WLP400 Belgian Wit liquid yeast. I got all the ingrediants at lunch today. I love having a lhbs right around the corner from work, and right down the road from home (different stores).

Old 03-24-2013, 04:09 AM   #10
sweed
Recipes 

I just finished brewing this beer. I got just about 5.5 gallons, maybe a tiny bit less. The OG is 1.056. The wort tasted pretty good. I only got about .2 oz of coriander from the lhbs. I found out after that the package was 1 Tbsp, so I weighed it, and it was much less than I wanted, so I cracked the seeds a little and added those and the bitter orange peel at 5-6 mins.
The color won't be like a true wit, but I have a feeling it'll look good when it's all done. I added the last 2 wheat lme at 5 mins and basically at flame out.

I can't wait to try this in about a month.

Quick Reply