Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > creating xtra light lme from pale lme

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2009, 05:12 PM   #1
TacoGuthrie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default creating xtra light lme from pale lme

So I have seen a number of recipes that I'd like to try for summer that call for xtra light malt extract. I can really only get my hands on pale lme but I had heard that by mixing glucose and pale it is pretty easy to create the extra light.

Does anyone have any experience with this or know of a method?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2009, 03:19 AM   #2
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Cutting the extract with sugar will bring the color down a bit but it will also affect the body and flavor. Use the pale extract and live with the slightly darker color until you can order some extra light.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:27 AM   #3
Scotty_g
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

If you only want to stock one kind of extract, get pale or pilsner. You can always use specialty grains (carapils, caramel, munich, etc.) to darken it up.

If you do take that advice, a 50-lb sack of DME will fit nicely in a pair of 5-gallon pails. Get ones that have lids that seal well, though.

Natural 20 Brewery

Yes, that *is* beer. Water, malt, hops, and yeast mean it's beer. Go ahead and try a glass...

Old 05-05-2009, 06:50 PM   #4
yermej
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty_g View Post
If you do take that advice, a 50-lb sack of DME will fit nicely in a pair of 5-gallon pails. Get ones that have lids that seal well, though.
I recently found out that 5 lbs. of DME will fit in a 1 gallon zip top bag. For me that's pretty much 1 bag per 5 gallon batch so it's relatively convenient.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:18 PM   #5
JumboBlimpJumbo
Recipes 

What brand of LME is it? I think pale and extra light are probably essentially the same thing but a different brand. I generally use briess and their "extra light" is called Golden Light, and the next step darker is sparkling amber. Look at the package and see what the color rating is. For the Golden light by briess the color rating is 2.0-6.0 Lovibond, and for the sparkling amber it is 8.0-13.0. Even using the golden light your color isn't going to be super light because LME is just inherently darker. If you want it to be a little lighter try adding half of the extract at the end of the boil.

Quick Reply