Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > cream ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2011, 08:09 PM   #1
iceman1407
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default cream ale

Anyone have any experience to share about cream ales and their brewing. Going to start one tomorrow

iceman1407

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2011, 08:15 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2751 Times on 1650 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

What are you looking to know? I've brewed plenty.

There's a ton of recipes on here. It's nothing special, just a really refreshing beer.

Here's some info on the style of beer.

The easiest way is to use flaked maize. The corn goes through a process where it is pregelatinized, and you just add it to the mash tun along with your grain.

The other way is to do what's called a cereal mash. You boil the corn with some diastic grain like 2 row until it becomes like porrige and the starch has converted, then you add it to the mash tun with your grain. If you're doing a cereal mash you can use almost any form of corn, folks use grits, masa, cornmeal, canned cream corn, corn on the cob, hominy, and even popped popcorn.

Here's a cream ale recipe made with popcorn

Popcorn Cream ALe

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-02-2011, 08:16 PM   #3
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 478 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I've made one honey cream ale and one dark cream ale so far. Both came out good... IMO, follow the KISS principle for the grist and you'll do well. Also, you probably want to have it finish with a lower SG, so that it's more refreshing... Mine finished around 1.016 and were/are pretty easy drinking. Second one is still in keg, so I'm still enjoying it.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 09-02-2011, 10:12 PM   #4
iceman1407
Recipes 

Well while I will keep these messages once I get to all grain, I am only at partial mash brewing now. I started at Mr beer type brewing and have now up'ed my operation to brewers best. My next step is all grain as I am piecing all the partaking together so I can start. So at this point I'm referring to the brewers best kit.

What I'm looking for is any insights or tips for brewing this style as it us my first...

iceman1407

Old 09-03-2011, 02:10 AM   #5
Revvy

Recipes 

There's really nothing special or different from this or any other style. In terms of difficulty, unless you're getting into all grain brewing and doing things like "abrew in a bag triple decoction with a step infusion and a mashout" then one recipe is no more complicated than any other, especially if you are doing any extract with steeping grains recipe.

Your grain bill might be different for different recipes, but what you with them (the process) will be the same, which is something akin to "steep grains for x minutes, in y gallons of water, remove grains bring to boil, add extract and hops as directed, cool, transfer to ferment, pitch yeast and relax."

You'll be fine.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-03-2011, 02:24 AM   #6
iceman1407
Recipes 

Hey thanks Revvy,

One last thing though, are there any little things that I could do with this cream ale to kinda put it over the top. Like outside the obvious directions. Do you or anyone else know of any little extras? I planning to brew this for a uncle who is a general retiring from the army. He is a big beer fan and really wanted to knock his socks off with it.

iceman1407

Old 09-03-2011, 02:31 AM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

Just do what we recommend doing for all beers.....Kepp the temps low during fermentation (use a swamp cooler and ice water bottles to keep the fermenter cool for the first week.) Then throw out the instructions and leave your beer in primary for a month before you bottle, and leave them in the bottles above 70 degrees for 4 weeks before openning them, and they should be great.
And read the stickeys in the beginner's section for all the other tips and tricks we suggest.

Old 09-03-2011, 03:04 AM   #8
iceman1407
Recipes 

Ok so I said one last thing Haha, but hey one last thing...

So stay only primary? Don't secondary at all? And also if I was to keg part and only bottle a sixer then still age the same amount?

Again I appreciate all the help. So glad this forum is here. When first breaking into this hobby I had so many questions and nowhere to ever get answers. Now in my journey to all grain I finally find it.

Thanks again.

iceman1407

Old 09-03-2011, 03:10 AM   #9
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 15

secondarying isn't necessary unless adding fruit, really, the way a lot of us look at it. stay only primary. age the bottles for the same amount of time regardless; the main reason is to let the yeast clean themselves up and carbonate correctly

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Old 09-03-2011, 03:13 AM   #10
iceman1407
Recipes 

So the other keged part that would be force carbonated would age fine for that month too?

iceman1407

Quick Reply