Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Crafty Gremlyn Brewing Holiday Spiced Porter Christmas/Winter Specialty Spiced Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
mhume01
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Default Crafty Gremlyn Brewing Holiday Spiced Porter Christmas/Winter Specialty Spiced Beer

This is what I'm brewing from the Brewmaster's Warehouse.

Crafty Gremlyn Brewing Holiday Spiced Porter
Christmas/Winter Specialty Spiced Beer - All Grain

http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/...-spiced-porter

Today is week 3 of being in the primary fermenter. How long do I keep this in the primary fermenter before I move it to the secondary? How long do I keep it in the secondary? I looked inside the bucket and the yeast appears to be almost "climbing" the inside sides of the bucket. Is this normal? This is my first all grain brew as opposed to malt so just wanted to make sure all is going smooth.

Thanks in advance for any help.

dscn0279.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 06:16 AM   #2
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 721 Times on 531 Posts
Likes Given: 277

everything looks good & normal. keep that fermenter closed as much as possible. get a better bottle or glass fermenter if you want to admire the yeast at work

there is no need to move to secondary, unless you are going to add something like fruit. if not, just keep it in primary for 4 weeks then bottle/keg. if your sanitation is good, you could keep it in primary twice as long as that (if not longer still). moving to secondary = increased risk of infection for little gain.

although a lot of recipes call for a secondary, a lot of people have moved away from it. even authorities like Zainashef and Palmer have changed their minds on the necessity of secondary.

Drinking: galaxy/conan IPA, a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply