Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > A Couple questions about a Vanilla Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2008, 06:54 PM   #1
PearlJamNoCode
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default A Couple questions about a Vanilla Porter

I'm planning on buying a Vanilla porter kit from Austin Homebrew Supply and I've got a few questions.

I've read that a beer like a porter or a stout takes longer to be drinkable than an average ale would. I usually bottle my beers about 3 weeks after brew day and let them bottle condition for another 3-4 weeks before trying them. What would the schedule be like for a porter?

Secondly, I never use a secondary. If a porter does in fact take longer would it be better for me to buy one and rack it to a secondary once I reach FG?

Planning - Ale Yeast Oktoberfest - PLEASE PM ME IF YOU CAN OFFER ANY ADVICE OR A RECIPE FOR THIS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2008, 07:01 PM   #2
Laurel

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm not sure, but I'm in for the answer. I ordered this kit, and it smells amazing. I expect to brew mine, ferment for a week or so, then spend a few weeks in the secondary. Then I'll bottle it and let it sit in the back of my closet until the weather gets chilly after summer.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:07 PM   #3
PearlJamNoCode
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Anybody?

Planning - Ale Yeast Oktoberfest - PLEASE PM ME IF YOU CAN OFFER ANY ADVICE OR A RECIPE FOR THIS

Old 03-19-2008, 07:11 PM   #4
Austinhomebrew
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 90

A recipe based on hops or one that is a high alcohol beer, such as an IPA or Barley wine will take much longer to mature. Recipes based on yeast, such as a wheat beer, or based on grain, such as a stout or porter do not take very long to age at all.

It should be drinkable as soon as it naturally carbonates (2 weeks in the bottles).

Forrest

Old 03-19-2008, 07:19 PM   #5
PearlJamNoCode
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinhomebrew
A recipe based on hops or one that is a high alcohol beer, such as an IPA or Barley wine will take much longer to mature. Recipes based on yeast, such as a wheat beer, or based on grain, such as a stout or porter do not take very long to age at all.

It should be drinkable as soon as it naturally carbonates (2 weeks in the bottles).

Forrest
Thanks!

Also, thanks for going the extra mile and giving me some background information rather than just a yes or no answer, I appreciate the knowledge!

Old 03-19-2008, 08:34 PM   #6
batesjer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJamNoCode
I'm planning on buying a Vanilla porter kit from Austin Homebrew Supply and I've got a few questions.

I've read that a beer like a porter or a stout takes longer to be drinkable than an average ale would. I usually bottle my beers about 3 weeks after brew day and let them bottle condition for another 3-4 weeks before trying them. What would the schedule be like for a porter?

Secondly, I never use a secondary. If a porter does in fact take longer would it be better for me to buy one and rack it to a secondary once I reach FG?

I wouldn't worry about using a secondary since nobody is going to be able to see through the beer anyways. I've done my vanilla porter twice, once used a secondary (added the vanilla extract at this time) and once without a secondary and both turned out great.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:54 PM   #7
PearlJamNoCode
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by batesjer
I wouldn't worry about using a secondary since nobody is going to be able to see through the beer anyways. I've done my vanilla porter twice, once used a secondary (added the vanilla extract at this time) and once without a secondary and both turned out great.
Was it a recipe or a kit?

Old 03-19-2008, 11:40 PM   #8
batesjer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJamNoCode
Was it a recipe or a kit?
It was a basic porter recipe and then I added the vanilla extract in the secondary for one batch and into primary before pitching the yeast in the other batch.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:18 AM   #9
mhot55
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

did this a few months ago. unfortunatley didn't get any vanilla flavoring with the kit, but had pure vanilla extract on hand so used that in the bottling bucket. i researched and heard to use real (and good) vanilla extract. ihad real vanilla, but maybe not a great one. tasted a little fake. maybe the vanilla powder that comes in the kit would make a difference. otherwise, i advise getting a bean or two and putting it in the secondary.

Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:50 AM   #10
PearlJamNoCode
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm planning on doing the kit from austin homebrew supply, and that has a powdered extract to add at bottling time I believe. I made a vanilla ale and used good real vanila extract and that turned out great.

Quick Reply