Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Cost of Brewing.....Kits vs Bulk ingedients

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2006, 01:56 AM   #1
Onescalerguy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Cost of Brewing.....Kits vs Bulk ingedients

Hello
I'm new to brewing and really want to know how many experienced extract brewers use kits.looking at prices it seems that kit prices aren't that much more expensive than separate ingredients for a similar recipe.Also shipping.Do alot of you buy mail order/internet or buy from brew stores.Kit prices at a dozen or so different online outfits seem very competitive,telling me that these kits aren't a bad way to go.What do you think?
Bill

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2006, 04:55 AM   #2
Exo

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Kits are fine. As you become more experienced and read up here you'll want to make some of the recipes you find here. It's a progression.

Wasp Bitten IPA (a Walker-San clone);Cheesefood's Caramel Creme; Wee Heavy Scottish Ale;
Bottled/Conditioning:
Flyin' Hornet Pale Ale(Mirror Pond clone);Oktoberfest Ale
Drinking:
Boom-Boom Apricot Hefeweisen; Forbidden Ale;Pale-Ass Ale (SNPA Clone); Ol' Man Winter Ale
On-deck:
Dead Guy clone
Planning:
Walker's Espresso Stout; BrewPastor's Bastard Lager
Quote:
But honey, how else am I going to get enough bottles for my next batch? *burp*...*fart*

Old 09-02-2006, 05:40 AM   #3
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 67

You can bring the price per brew down by buying ingredients in bulk like hops, grains, and extract. Find some brew buddies or join a local home brew club and you can split your orders. Harvesting your yeast can also be a cost saver.

Cheers,
Rich

Old 09-02-2006, 05:57 AM   #4
Engelramm
Recipes 

I've recently found that the Brewer's Best kits at my local Big Box Liquor Store are about the same price as buying the ingredients individually. Having the style guidelines from Papazian's The Complete Joy of Homebrewing and the recipes from Szamatulskis' Beer Captured, I can build a batch with just ingredients. I find that I have a bit of each ingredient left over, so that just means that I can play a bit more with the next batch. Yeah, I'm this confident after only 4 brews. Go figure. If I can do it, anyone can...

Old 09-02-2006, 02:22 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

You start saving money when you buy hops by the pound and grain by the 50 lb bag. I don't buy in bulk, except for Columbus pellets.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 09-02-2006, 02:48 PM   #6
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

I buy by the batch, basically, at my LHBS. Kits have the advantage of removing guesswork, buying separately (as I do) will become more natural as you feel more like experimenting with variants. This will likely happen once you have a few batches under your belt (literally and idiomatically). You are correct that cost is not much of a factor if you buy by the batch, regardless of whether you use kits or not.

Old 09-02-2006, 08:50 PM   #7
kappclark

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have never brewed grain, and have been amazed by the consistent quality of extract kits...

Big savings to be had switching from liquid to dry yeast

Old 09-02-2006, 10:24 PM   #8
Mykel Obvious
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappclark
I have never brewed grain, and have been amazed by the consistent quality of extract kits...

Big savings to be had switching from liquid to dry yeast
I have to say that IMO the liquid yeast will ALWAYS make a better beer!!! And there is a much larger variety of yeast (some styles you can ONLY brew correctly using the proper yeast strain)

So you save $3.00 on a batch of beer... but if it isn't what you were shooting for, then I have to say you wasted your money

mikey

"I have a total irreverence for anything connected with society except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer."
Brendan Behan

Old 09-02-2006, 11:09 PM   #9
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 355 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo
Kits are fine. As you become more experienced and read up here you'll want to make some of the recipes you find here. It's a progression.
Yup.

First batch, kit.
Second batch, kit (split equally, half receiving raspberries and maple, the other being "control")
Third batch, recipe I borrowed from Walker.
Fourth batch, recipe I developed myself (with lots of help from folks here)
Next batch - AG/mostly-AG.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 09-04-2006, 09:04 PM   #10
Levers101
Recipes 

I've done 3 extract kits and a simple (hefeweizen) recipe I got with the help of guys on here. I've gone with kits and liquid yeast so far. Personally, I haven't been able to get a good deal on specialty grains to make my own recipes, so I've gone with kits because they've been cheaper in most cases due to needing to buy a whole pound of grain to get the 3 oz I need for the recipes I've looked at. And I'm just starting out and I like to brew a different kind of beer each batch, so I figure the grains will go bad before I get around to brewing the same recipe again.

Austin Homebrew does offer a partial pound specialty grain setup, but they are too far away from me through climatic extremes for me to trust the yeast I order from them during the warm months.

The only thing I think I'd consider buying large quantities of would be DME.

Bottled/Drinking #12: 6 Hop Variety American Pale Ale
Bottled/Drinking #13: Dry stout kit
Bottled/Drinking #14: Bavarian Wheat
Bottled/Drinking #15: Iron Red Ale

On Deck
:

Bull Sprig Brewery

Quick Reply