The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Is the Coopers yeast responsible for the "Apply" flavors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2010, 08:18 PM   #1
Pookapoo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is the Coopers yeast responsible for the "Apply" flavors

Okay, I was thinking back to my first brew. It was a Coopers "Can and a Kilo" type kit. (Yeah, I didn't know any better) so I brewed it up with just the extract and corn sugar and got a apple-cidery flavor twang in the brew.
The thing is since I had no experience and my primary information source was Youtube, (the Craigtube video series to be specific) I was under the impression that if the yeast "smelled like applesauce" then that meant it was good. Then I proceeded to move into non canned kits with yeast that was not Coopers and none of them seem to smell like applesauce. And they don't seem to make apple-esque beer either. I was wondering if anyone had done a Coopers canned kit with a different yeast, and if so, whether or not they got any apple flavor. I'm just trying to figure out if the yeast is the culprit here or the canned extract or the combination of both.
I guess it could be that other yeasts have the applesauce smell but to date the only one that I have tried that did was the coopers. Anyway, any thoughts on this. Experience with the coopers kits is preferred.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2010, 08:22 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

I think it's from getting much of the fermentables from corn sugar. Sugar has a place in brewing, but when it's more than about 10-20% of the fermentables, the resulting beer can have a decidely cidery flavor.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:19 PM   #3
Pookapoo
Recipes 

Hmm... Good to know.
Just curious though do you know of any other yeasts that smell like applesauce?

Old 04-24-2010, 10:22 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookapoo View Post
Hmm... Good to know.
Just curious though do you know of any other yeasts that smell like applesauce?
No. There are yeast stains (in fact most of them) that smell "fruity" if fermented above about 70 degrees F. Peachy, fruity, bubblegum, etc. Not apply, though. Young beers will often have a definite apple aroma and flavor- like green apples. That's from acetaldehyde, but it goes away with some aging.

Old 04-25-2010, 03:54 PM   #5
Pookapoo
Recipes 

I think I may have been misunderstood. I meant the yeast itself smells like applesauce. I mean just open the foil pouch and take a whiff- applesauce smell!
I wasn't referring to the aroma imparted into the beverage.
Anyone know of any other yeasts that smell like that?

Old 04-26-2010, 10:42 PM   #6
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I made a few Cooper's kits back in they day. The yeast smelled like every other yeast (including bread yeast) and nothing like applesauce.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 04-27-2010, 02:39 AM   #7
tomheff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Lots of experience with Coopers kits here. Lots of brewing here including all grain. No applesauce aroma, no apply flavors. Just clean beers.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:52 AM   #8
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

Hmm, never had a yeast that smelled like applesauce. I can tell you that smell (applesauce or otherwise) is in no way an indicator of good/bad yeast. Well that is unless its VERY old and has undergone autolysis...but that will smell like death, not applesauce.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:48 PM   #9
Pookapoo
Recipes 

Thanks for the input guys, and please tell other people about this thread. I want to collect as many responses as possible so that I can determine if the apple-smelling yeast is the the variable that may explain why some people have the apple-esque while others report never having the problem. Maybe it is regional or has to do with time since packaging. I think we may be on the road to discovery here.
Just to let you all know that I'm not imagining the smell on my end, here's a link to a guy who has brewed more coopers kits than I care to count and he mentions in this video ( and several others) that the apple smell of the yeast "means it's good" so it is definitely not a unique phenomenon to the yeast that I have received.
http://www.youtube.com/user/CraigTube#p/search/23/GVxuyyUtuwAHe pitches the yeast at 5 minutes in exactly and comments on the apple smell.
Thanks again and PLEASE tell your friends to post their experiences in this thread.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:44 PM   #10
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

No, no, you have it all wrong. An apple smell to the yeast is NOT an indication of yeast health, viability or the flavors it will produce. Plus, I wouldn't exactly consider craigtube a reliable source for any sort of brewing knowledge.

The apple flavors you are getting in the beer are likely from what Yoop described. When you pitch yeast above 70F, and ferment much above 70F, they produce all kinds of fruity esters. These are a byproduct of their reproduction. To minimize ester production in yeast, it is important to chill your wort below 70F before pitching, and to ferment below 70F. Preferably around 65, depending on the strain and style of beer being brewed. If you aren't properly chilling or controling your fermentation temperatures, that is where the apple and fruity flavors are coming from in the beer. It is also possible that Coopers yeast puts off more apple like esters than other yeasts. If you yeast happens to smell like apples, it has absolutely NO relation.

My suggestion - get away from coopers kits and coopers yeast.

Quick Reply