Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Coopers Stout - what yeast is best?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2008, 05:05 AM   #1
felix
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Coopers Stout - what yeast is best?

hey i have a can of Coopers Stout and was wondering if there is a better yeast for that job or would i be just fine with the provided yeasts?

also, would the use of brown sugar add butterscotch overtones like it does to cider? Any issued involving the use of cane sugars vs dextrose?

i normally brew cider, and am pretty exited about brewing my first beer. especially since it will be a stout

black velvet anyone?

Come in beautiful Similkameen Valley and visit the winery i work at! www.orofinovineyards.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2008, 03:50 PM   #2
vespa2t
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Safale S05. Its worth the extra $2 for a pack of yeast that you know is not ancient or heat cycled...

-Paul O.
Vintage Vespa, Classic Mini Cooper, and Fermentation. Thats my life.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:31 PM   #3
felix
Recipes 

thanks for the tip!

Come in beautiful Similkameen Valley and visit the winery i work at! www.orofinovineyards.com

Old 12-03-2008, 05:11 AM   #4
tomheff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
hey i have a can of Coopers Stout and was wondering if there is a better yeast for that job or would i be just fine with the provided yeasts?

also, would the use of brown sugar add butterscotch overtones like it does to cider? Any issued involving the use of cane sugars vs dextrose?

i normally brew cider, and am pretty exited about brewing my first beer. especially since it will be a stout

black velvet anyone?
Use the Coopers yeast. It consistently works well and buying another package of yeast is just a waste of money. The yeast in the Coopers stout beer kit makes a stout that is similar to the Coopers Stout made by the Coopers Brewery. I don't know what beers Safale makes.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:21 AM   #5
Kilgore_Trout
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomheff View Post
Use the Coopers yeast. It consistently works well and buying another package of yeast is just a waste of money. The yeast in the Coopers stout beer kit makes a stout that is similar to the Coopers Stout made by the Coopers Brewery. I don't know what beers Safale makes.
No. Sorry, but no. It is worth the $1-$2 for dry yeast. I've done plenty of their kits and I wouldn't use their yeast if I had a choice.

Poor attenuation, questionable quality (due to long periods on the shelves). I've brewed good beer with their yeast, but I've had it poop out a few times as well. It's worth the $1 for notty or S-04 to me, I know what they do and they're consistent.

Old 12-04-2008, 04:38 PM   #6
grasshopper1917
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I make coopers kits all the time and always use the yeast under the lid - I havent had a failure yet! *Knocks on wood*

BTW the tout turns out great - one of my fave cooper kits

Cheers

Old 12-05-2008, 04:09 AM   #7
tomheff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore_Trout View Post
No. Sorry, but no. It is worth the $1-$2 for dry yeast. I've done plenty of their kits and I wouldn't use their yeast if I had a choice.

Poor attenuation, questionable quality (due to long periods on the shelves). I've brewed good beer with their yeast, but I've had it poop out a few times as well. It's worth the $1 for notty or S-04 to me, I know what they do and they're consistent.
Yes Kilgore. Coopers has very good attenuation and is very high quality. The yeast for the Coopers Stout beer kit is designed to make a Coopers Stout. If you have problems with the shelf life from your retailer that is not a reflection of the Coopers yeast.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:28 PM   #8
vespa2t
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
The yeast for the Coopers Stout beer kit is designed to make a Coopers Stout. If you have problems with the shelf life from your retailer that is not a reflection of the Coopers yeast.
The Coopers yeast may be fantastic when packaged up in Australia but by the time its shipped in non-temp controlled containers and sits in my LHBS I dont know its condition.

Safale may not make beer themselves, but they (Fermentis) make fantastic yeast that major brewers use in their processes. To me its worth $1 or $2 to ensure that the $50 in other goodies I put in my primary are going to be eaten by happy yeast. Happy yeast = good beer

-Paul O.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:17 PM   #9
tomheff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa2t View Post
The Coopers yeast may be fantastic when packaged up in Australia but by the time its shipped in non-temp controlled containers and sits in my LHBS I dont know its condition.

Safale may not make beer themselves, but they (Fermentis) make fantastic yeast that major brewers use in their processes. To me its worth $1 or $2 to ensure that the $50 in other goodies I put in my primary are going to be eaten by happy yeast. Happy yeast = good beer
Well, let's see, Safale is produced in France by a subsidiary of a food company. Coopers makes and sells bottle-conditioned beers just like the beers that homebrewers make. If you want to make a bottle-conditioned stout similar to the one Coopers produces and sells in Australia, you will have success using the Coopers yeast. If you want to modify the beer kit based on recommendations from "expert" homebrewers than that is your perogative. Because Safale sells yeast and not beer kits, they market their yeast separately and they want you to use their yeast instead of the yeast that comes with the beer kit. The retailer also wants you to do this because they get another sale.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:39 PM   #10
vespa2t
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Well, let's see, Safale is produced in France by a subsidiary of a food company. Coopers makes and sells bottle-conditioned beers just like the beers that homebrewers make.
Safale (Fermentis) doesnt make food. They only make specialized yeast for brewing, wine making, and distillers. Make sure you dont buy from Wyeast or White, they dont make beer either.

Quote:
If you want to make a bottle-conditioned stout similar to the one Coopers produces and sells in Australia, you will have success using the Coopers yeast. .
I have had a bad pack of yeast. Thus why I insure my $50 investment with a $2 yeast. BTW, I make a hella good Stout using Safale and Coopers Extract. I dont care if its not exactly like theirs. Mine is good.

If your happy with the Coopers yeast, then fine...but if someone on here asks for advice in this area, Im going to tell them my experiences...

-Paul O.

Quick Reply