Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Coopers Stout vs Coopers Irish Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2012, 05:23 PM   #21
mpenn35
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTownLiquorPig View Post
+1, I'd like to hear how it turned out.

I have a Cooper's OS Stout on the go, can +1.3 KG LME topped up to 16 Litres. Been fermenting for 5 days. Curious what I should expect for an FG, sticky thermometer shows 58*-60*, used 2-7g packs of Cooper's yeast.
Just curious, what was your OG? I made the Coopers Stout on this past Sunday. I went with the Coopers HME can and added three pounds of dark DME instead of sugar. I also subbed out the Coopers yeast for Wyeast Slap Pack 1084 Irish Ale. I'm fermenting in a 6.5 gallon fermenter, and after about 24 hours it just started going crazy for about 48 hours, then subsided to just a bubble every few seconds for another day or two. My OG was 1.048 on it. My sticky thermometer is showing around 66-68 degrees.

Primary: Cream Ale
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: Wheat, Stout, Chocolate Milk Stout, Dubbel Trouble, Extra Special Bitter, Strawberry Blonde, Oatmeal Stout
On deck: Maple Stout, Milk Stout, Black IPA

Bring the Cup to Philly

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #22
LTownLiquorPig
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 196

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpenn35 View Post
Just curious, what was your OG? I made the Coopers Stout on this past Sunday. I went with the Coopers HME can and added three pounds of dark DME instead of sugar. I also subbed out the Coopers yeast for Wyeast Slap Pack 1084 Irish Ale. I'm fermenting in a 6.5 gallon fermenter, and after about 24 hours it just started going crazy for about 48 hours, then subsided to just a bubble every few seconds for another day or two. My OG was 1.048 on it. My sticky thermometer is showing around 66-68 degrees.
Mad at myself because I can't find where I recorded it. It was in the 1.050-1.060 range. I was surprised I could get a legit looking reading, never been able to do that before. I'm only brewing 16L, so I think mine would be a bit higher than yours....

Don't even break it out if you ain't gonna share.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #23
mpenn35
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTownLiquorPig View Post
Mad at myself because I can't find where I recorded it. It was in the 1.050-1.060 range. I was surprised I could get a legit looking reading, never been able to do that before. I'm only brewing 16L, so I think mine would be a bit higher than yours....
Yeah that makes sense, mine is around 5.5 US gallons. I was just curious. I'd like to know how yours turns out. I'll be racking part of mine to a secondary next weekend and dry hopping with cacao nibs and adding some lactose as well and bottling the rest. Probably gonna bottle two gallons and do the additions to the other 3-3.5.

Bottled: Wheat, Stout, Chocolate Milk Stout, Dubbel Trouble, Extra Special Bitter, Strawberry Blonde, Oatmeal Stout

Bring the Cup to Philly

Old 02-10-2012, 08:08 PM   #24
LTownLiquorPig
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpenn35 View Post
Yeah that makes sense, mine is around 5.5 US gallons. I was just curious. I'd like to know how yours turns out. I'll be racking part of mine to a secondary next weekend and dry hopping with cacao nibs and adding some lactose as well and bottling the rest. Probably gonna bottle two gallons and do the additions to the other 3-3.5.
When I took my sample it was a little too sweet to start, but seemed to have that nice, dry, coffee/stout finish that I was hoping for.

My stout drinking experience is A LOT of Guinness Pub Draught (my "session beer" for a year about a year a couple of years ago, a little Guinness Extra Stout (licensed and brewed in Halifax NS), and a handful of local craft brew stouts.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #25
mpenn35
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

I'm a big stout fan, but not a huge Guinness fan myself. I do drink a lot of different craft stouts, especially local ones though. I'm pretty anxious to see how this one turns out and what it's like.

Bring the Cup to Philly

Old 02-14-2012, 06:44 PM   #26
mpenn35
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

I tested my gravity today and I was around 1.012. I don't see it going much lower that. From what I've read, a lot of people have their Coopers Stouts finishing around 1.018 or so. If the 1.012 holds up, I'll be looking at a 4.9% ABV, which is about what I was looking for.

Bring the Cup to Philly

Old 02-14-2012, 07:37 PM   #27
LTownLiquorPig
Recipes 

I just bottled mine today after 3 days at 1.016. I think I had it in primary for 2 weeks. Want it carbed for the 17th of March.

Quick Reply