Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Coopers Stout vs Coopers Irish Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2011, 07:26 PM   #11
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2126 Times on 1860 Posts
Likes Given: 1569

I don't know why so many folks get under attenuated extract beers. I just don't have that problem. I think it'd be better to use 3 lbs plain amber DME & some 2oz of hops appropriate to stouts. 1/2 the DME in a 2.5-3 gallon boil,do your hop additions. Then add remaining DME & the cooper's can. Allow to steep for 15 minutes or so while sanitizing FV. Chill down to pitch temp,& proceed as normal. This is basically what I do with cooper's cans. The plain dme with one can & a couple ounces of hops gets me into the 5.3-5.9% range,depending on style.
I can get a 1.050OG down to 1.010 with regularity. I just don't get this under-attenuation curse with extract crap. I think that's a fault of the process more than the ingredients.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2011, 08:24 PM   #12
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 324

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
I just don't get this under-attenuation curse with extract crap. I think that's a fault of the process more than the ingredients.
Agreed. I suspect it has a lot to do with over-caramelizing the sugars in the wort, probably from not fully mixing in the LME. A lot of people don't realize how heavy and sticky it is and even if they do bother to take it off the flame, don't stir properly after adding it.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 10-13-2011, 09:36 PM   #13
HopSong

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Thanks guys.. I think I have a starting handle on this one now...

I have a partial grain amber ale to do first.. then this stout.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:02 PM   #14
PT Ray
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
I just don't get this under-attenuation curse with extract crap. I think that's a fault of the process more than the ingredients.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
Agreed. I suspect it has a lot to do with over-caramelizing the sugars in the wort, probably from not fully mixing in the LME. A lot of people don't realize how heavy and sticky it is and even if they do bother to take it off the flame, don't stir properly after adding it.
Generally speaking you can expect an all extract beer to finish slightly higher than an all grain given all things equal. More so with amber and dark extract as they tend to have been made with a percentage of crystal and Munich.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:02 PM   #15
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Not in my experience. 1.010 to 1.012 every time. I use only 1.5lbs of plain DME (from extra light to amber) in the boil for hop additions. Then the remaining DME. Cooper's can(s) at flame out. That's how I get the lighter colors,& higher attenuation. Cleaner beers result,especially so when I can keep temps under control.
I can see what you're saying,but the process I use generally negates these effects to a large degree.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:10 AM   #16
Manoau2002
Recipes 

I have made both the coopers stout and the coopers Irish stout kits. I used 1 kg of corn sugar with the coopers original stout. Then I made the coopers Irish stout. I added 3 pounds of light DME to it. Of the two kits I liked the original kit much better myself. I think that 3 pounds of DME made the Coopers Irish stout kit way too malty. But I guess it depends on your taste preference.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:22 PM   #17
roxy35
Recipes 

Any word on how this turned out?

I am preparing to start a Munton's Connoisseur Export Stout and am looking for recommendations. The kit makes 6 gallons, but planning on backing it down to 5.

It also calls to add 1kg of sugar, but am debating adding 3lb DME instead. Not quite sure what to expect. I like the maltiness, but not quite sure what sugar would offer to it (I hear it 'dries' it out, but still not quite what that means...I'm new). In the end, I love stouts, but and I want to make sure that I spend the next 7 weeks preparing a good one.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:47 PM   #18
LTownLiquorPig
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 196

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy35 View Post
Any word on how this turned out?

I am preparing to start a Munton's Connoisseur Export Stout and am looking for recommendations. The kit makes 6 gallons, but planning on backing it down to 5.

It also calls to add 1kg of sugar, but am debating adding 3lb DME instead. Not quite sure what to expect. I like the maltiness, but not quite sure what sugar would offer to it (I hear it 'dries' it out, but still not quite what that means...I'm new). In the end, I love stouts, but and I want to make sure that I spend the next 7 weeks preparing a good one.
+1, I'd like to hear how it turned out.

I have a Cooper's OS Stout on the go, can +1.3 KG LME topped up to 16 Litres. Been fermenting for 5 days. Curious what I should expect for an FG, sticky thermometer shows 58*-60*, used 2-7g packs of Cooper's yeast.

Don't even break it out if you ain't gonna share.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #19
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

16L equals 4.224 gallons,19L would've given you 5.016 gallons. So the FG will be a little higher.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:17 PM   #20
LTownLiquorPig
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 196

Quote:
16L equals 4.224 gallons,19L would've given you 5.016 gallons. So the FG will be a little higher.
Maybe in the 1.015-1.020 range?

Don't even break it out if you ain't gonna share.

Quick Reply