Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Coopers Pilsner, skunk?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2008, 03:55 PM   #1
Alfred The Great
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Coopers Pilsner, skunk?

Hey all, I just recently brewed up a Thomas Coopers Brewmaster Pilsner kit. I added 500g of Muntons light spraymalt and 2 cups of corn sugar at the start. I brewed Oct. 6th, racked to a carboy oct. 8th, oct 23rd I racked to another carboy to get this brew off the lees on the bottom and to let it age. It was kind of skunky, the instructions claimed this would settle out with time. So I left it there until nov. 8th when I bottled. Throughout all of this I kept it in a dark closet with the temperature never exceeding 70 degrees or going under 62. It wasn't too skunky when I bottled it, but last night I drank a few of these and found them to have a skunky smell, similar to some german beers I've drank, like Becks, but no skunky taste at all. Is this a problem? Anyone made this beer? Does it normally have a slightly skunky smell?

I brewed an all - gran Czech Pilsner last April, and in all honesty, it was the best beer I've ever drank, a lot better than this, but there was no skunky smell, is it just a style difference or did I mess something up?

All the best!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2008, 08:54 PM   #2
MoRoToRiUm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Let them in the bottle for another 2-4 weeks and give them a try. Never did this recipe, so don't know about the skunk; just guidelines for conditioning (typically best after 6 weeks in bottles).

Old 11-21-2008, 02:45 PM   #3
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I'm having a little trouble following your procedure. If I understand correctly you brewed on Oct 6 and had primary fermentation for two days, then moved to a secondary fermenter on the 8th and racked to a bright tank(tertiary fermenter)? If I am reading that right that is far too short a time in primary. I'd let it go a couple weeks before moving to a secondary.

Old 11-21-2008, 03:03 PM   #4
Docapi
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by camiller View Post
I'm having a little trouble following your procedure. If I understand correctly you brewed on Oct 6 and had primary fermentation for two days, then moved to a secondary fermenter on the 8th and racked to a bright tank(tertiary fermenter)? If I am reading that right that is far too short a time in primary. I'd let it go a couple weeks before moving to a secondary.
QFT

The directions say to leave it in the primary for 6 days at 70 degrees- longer if it is cooler.

Bottled: Edwort's Apfelwien #1 Edwort Apfelwien #2, Joes ancient orange mead, island mist kits x2.

Old 11-21-2008, 03:03 PM   #5
Alfred The Great
Recipes 

Sorry, no I brewed it one the sixth. It was in a primary. Moved it to a secondary (Carboy) on the eighth or ninth, it sat in the Primary for three days at least.
So three days in the primary.
I usually let these sit for two weeks in the secondary (carboy) then bottle, they're usually stopped and cleared by then. I was in the middle of midterms (I'm a university student), so I didn't have time to bottle but I didn't want to leave the pilsner sitting on the lees down at the bottom of the Carboy so I moved it (October 28th) to another carboy. Once midterms and stuff were over I bottled it on Nov. 8th.

My general procedure for brewing is three days in the Primary, at least two weeks in the Carboy and then into the bottles. This is what was recommended to me by the homebrew store here in town, as well as one in Halifax. These are also the instructions that come with the RJ Spagnols Brewhouse beer kits, which are phenomonal, I'd reccomend them to anyone.

Old 11-21-2008, 03:10 PM   #6
Mutilated1
Beer Drenched Executioner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That skunky smell you're smelling is just what that beer is like. Nothing to worry about there. Like you said... its very similar to Beck's - lots of people like that.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:06 AM   #7
Alfred The Great
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutilated1 View Post
That skunky smell you're smelling is just what that beer is like. Nothing to worry about there. Like you said... its very similar to Beck's - lots of people like that.

Ok, thanks so much. I'm actually pretty taken by it, I like the taste. Was just worried about the smell, didn't want to be drinking infected beer or anything. I've never had a batch go south on me so I wouldn't know what to look out for. I do like it, thank you.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:18 AM   #8
BlackTieBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I did this kit a long time ago before I started doing all-grain batches. I ended up with a beer that had an overwhelming sulfur smell that I could never get past. I suppose it was due to the higher temp it fermented at (around 65) although the instructions said the yeast would handle higher temps it would've probably had less sulfur had it been fermented at a cooler temp proper for lagering. I'm thinking you might have a similar case but with a skunky odor rather than sulfur...

Old 11-23-2008, 12:31 AM   #9
Alfred The Great
Recipes 

Alright, I've finally broke down, I went to the Liquor store today and bought a Czechvar Pilsner, which is supposed to be a very good Pilsner from the Czech republic, it tasted similar to the batch of Coopers Pilsner I just brewed. A bit hoppier, but with the same smell and a similar taste, My pils is a bit sweeter, but either way I'm fine with it. Maybe it is just the style then.

Blacktiebrewing: Given what you've just said I'd actually like to make this kit again, only the next time around I'd ferment it in my basement, which is concrete and very cold, just to see if it'd change any. Thanks so much for your help!

Old 11-25-2008, 02:12 AM   #10
brewNdrink
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred The Great View Post
Hey all, I just recently brewed up a Thomas Coopers Brewmaster Pilsner kit. I added 500g of Muntons light spraymalt and 2 cups of corn sugar at the start. I brewed Oct. 6th, racked to a carboy oct. 8th, oct 23rd I racked to another carboy to get this brew off the lees on the bottom and to let it age. It was kind of skunky, the instructions claimed this would settle out with time. So I left it there until nov. 8th when I bottled. Throughout all of this I kept it in a dark closet with the temperature never exceeding 70 degrees or going under 62. It wasn't too skunky when I bottled it, but last night I drank a few of these and found them to have a skunky smell, similar to some german beers I've drank, like Becks, but no skunky taste at all. Is this a problem? Anyone made this beer? Does it normally have a slightly skunky smell?

I brewed an all - gran Czech Pilsner last April, and in all honesty, it was the best beer I've ever drank, a lot better than this, but there was no skunky smell, is it just a style difference or did I mess something up?

All the best!
I've made about 6-7 of these kits. My favorite Coopers kit!

The way I make it is I use 1.5 lb malt extract, 1 cup corn sugar, brew for 2 weeks at about 15C/58F, transfer to secondary for 1 week at room temp, around 20C/68F. Then I bottle/keg.

I've never had any bad off-flavors, but this beer needs quite a bit of bottle conditioning. I tried a few bottles that were 3 months old and was floored how well it aged.

So if you make another batch try to actually use lager temps and age longer and you'll be fine. I'm sure your current batch will really improve with age.

Cheers
Tony.

Quick Reply