The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Coopers kits are ****!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2013, 12:59 AM   #21
aceuass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 9

If your starting out there`s nothing wrong with coopers kits or even mr beer kits, they will all produce a form of beer you will be proud of, as you read, learn and brew more you will eventually be able to produce the beers you desire, i have actually enjoyed most coopers kits ive brewed, but being more experienced i look for improving with the knowledge i have gained-here is a good reference for improving your coopers kits-http://www.aussiehomebrewing.com/Customize/CustomizeCoopers.html

3 Hoppy Guys Brewing Co

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #22
llgriffin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So with a kit, can you leave it in primary for longer to let it clear. The guy at my lhbs said that if you leave in primary (or secondary) whatever the case may be, for too long the yeast dies and it won't carbonate. This is of course if your bottling as opposed to keg with force carb. Does this sound legit? Or would a guy pitch some more yeast prior to priming?

Old 05-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #23
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Leaving it a few extra weeks to clear will be usually be fine. I leave my beers for three weeks normally and there is still plenty of yeast to carbonate.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

unionrdr Likes This 
Old 05-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #24
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1295

Quote:
Originally Posted by llgriffin View Post
So with a kit, can you leave it in primary for longer to let it clear. The guy at my lhbs said that if you leave in primary (or secondary) whatever the case may be, for too long the yeast dies and it won't carbonate. This is of course if your bottling as opposed to keg with force carb. Does this sound legit? Or would a guy pitch some more yeast prior to priming?
Nah,yeast autolysis is a thing of the past. At least on our scale it is. Commercial brewers have such huge fermenters,there's a lot of pressure on the yeast & trub at the bottom. Not so with our lil batches. So no worries there...

Old 05-01-2013, 07:46 PM   #25
llgriffin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Alright cool, so if I left it in primary for say 3 weeks and bottled there shouldn't be any problem carbonating? I'm just wanting to try and clear up the beer and figured a little longer in the tub would help.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:56 PM   #26
brtisbuck
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by llgriffin View Post
Alright cool, so if I left it in primary for say 3 weeks and bottled there shouldn't be any problem carbonating? I'm just wanting to try and clear up the beer and figured a little longer in the tub would help.
I only use a primary, dry hopping and all, unless in the rare instance I am fruiting my beer....never less than 4 week. Clears up great with no problems carbing.

Cooper's kits have their place with Mr. Beer kits for first timers. That having been said, if a prospective brewer is picking my brain I would be making other recommendations.

In the botte: Wheat, American Pale Ale
In Primary #1: Light Hybrid #1
Primary #2: Light Hybrid #2
On Deck: IPA
In Design: California Common

Old 05-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #27
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1295

3 weeks in primary should get it cleared pretty good. Plenty of yeast to carbonate with. And Cooper's cans can be used to make some good beers.
Try my Sunset Gold APA recipe sometime with your favorite hops.
I also use the same basic recipe (malts) for my BuckIPA. Just the hops & hoping schedule change. Gives a nice amber orange color too. So if you're still into AE,give it a shot! You can see pics of them in my photos.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #28
TylerGuy
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 23

im just back to brewing and these kits give me the ability to have a drinkable result in no time. i have already started substuting high malt gluctose and next kit i will use dry malt extract or liquid. these kits are a stepping stone to better beer at a better price.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #29
Dudest
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstranger99 View Post
I've never tried coopers, but I've done other extract kits, you really have to tweak them, especially if you want to rid of that extract twang....I hate that !
How do you get rid of that twang?

When i lived overseas i must have heard this joke a 1000 times "what does american beer and having sex in a canoe have in common? " . Both fu#*n close to water.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:42 AM   #30
ArizonaGoalie
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Not a fan of kits. I tell any new brewer to avoid kits, they diminish creativity and fun, and are not terribly reliable as far as quality and freshness. My recommendation to any new brewer is to get to know the local homebrew shop owner and ask for a great first recipe.

To me, most of the fun is designing a recipe. Kits = boring. I know someone will respond with how much they love kits, cool! Enjoy your kits, I'll enjoy f'ing with the mainstream and being creative.

Quick Reply