Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Coopers kits

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2009, 10:44 AM   #21
boo boo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 4

In my day, I made a lot of K & K brews. Most all came out the same way. Cidery, from adding the required amount of cane sugar. Corn sugar/cane sugar it didn't matter. What make the difference for me was replacing the sugar with malt extract and adding a little flavor hops. Took care of the cidery taste.

I guess a lot of things changed for me when I started reading these forums. Temperture control, proper yeast pitching, etc. Each added to the making of better and better beer.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2009, 02:02 PM   #22
Austinhomebrew
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
Amen to that! I'm really pleased with how the Mexican Cervesa turned out. Smooth, very drinkable, and great for people that are a little tentative about trying my homebrew. Especially my dad who tastes every beer I make and says, "Boy, that's bitter." Hmm, yes, what you're tasting sir are hops and in truth that brown ale you're drinking is relatively low in overall hop bitterness, here try this IPA!!

Also, order from Austin Homebrew, because they rock!
I even turned my brother on to them.

Forrest, is there a reason why you don't carry the Sparkling Ale? I tried a bottle of it and really liked it, but when I went on your site to order the kit it wasn't available.
I will look into it but I don't recall it being available any more.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:16 AM   #23
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 26 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 432 Times on 341 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just the thread I was looking for. I recently bought the coopers kit which came with a lager can. I brewed it according to the directions, except that I pitched at a bit of a high temp....30 c. brought the temp down to about 26, which it stayed at till bottling. Total primary was 11 days, then bottled with coopers drops. I then bought the coopers wheat, which I pitched at 24, brought down to 22, and stayed at or below 25 for 8 days, and bottled with coopers drops. Here's the strange part. When I tasted the Wheat after one week in the bottle, it tasted exactly the same as the lager after one week. I'm drinking a wheat now, and it tastes no different than the lager did. The wheat has no wheat distinction, and is even as clear as a Coors Light. Does anybody have any ideas on what could have went wrong. Mislabeled can, city water? I emailed coopers about it, and got no reply. Tomheff who is the north american distributor for coopers replied, but couldn't offer any help. Maybe the masters of HBT could give it a crack

Old 10-04-2009, 12:25 PM   #24
petep1980
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I haven't done their wheat but I find most extract tastes the same.

I love it, you pitched a lager at 30c and it still turned out. That's what's great about their kits. Like a previous poster said you can ferment in a garbage can and it'll turn out.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:07 AM   #25
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysab View Post
Just the thread I was looking for. I recently bought the coopers kit which came with a lager can. I brewed it according to the directions, except that I pitched at a bit of a high temp....30 c. brought the temp down to about 26, which it stayed at till bottling. Total primary was 11 days, then bottled with coopers drops. I then bought the coopers wheat, which I pitched at 24, brought down to 22, and stayed at or below 25 for 8 days, and bottled with coopers drops. Here's the strange part. When I tasted the Wheat after one week in the bottle, it tasted exactly the same as the lager after one week. I'm drinking a wheat now, and it tastes no different than the lager did. The wheat has no wheat distinction, and is even as clear as a Coors Light. Does anybody have any ideas on what could have went wrong. Mislabeled can, city water? I emailed coopers about it, and got no reply. Tomheff who is the north american distributor for coopers replied, but couldn't offer any help. Maybe the masters of HBT could give it a crack
Did you use the Coopers kit yeast both times? If so, it's an ale yeast. Even if the can says that it is a "lager" kit, you're pitching an ale yeast if you use their yeast. Also, since it's not a wheat specific yeast, it's going to floculate the same as any other beer you make with the yeast. To me it sounds like everything worked correctly, maybe just not what you were anticipating.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:22 AM   #26
PlainsBrew
Recipes 

I've done several Cooper's Kits and I've always been impressed with the quality... I'm fermenting a Sparking Ale kit right now... still available on www.makebeer.net...

"No matter who you talk to, or how much you disagree with them, there is always beer to settle all disputes." ~ Unknown

"Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today." - Edgar Allan Poe

Old 10-05-2009, 01:47 AM   #27
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 26 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 432 Times on 341 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It just may be impressive that the beer still turned out when I pitched at 30 c, but the quality of the final product wasn't impressive. I know 30c is high, and I learned from my first ever batch. after 6 weeks in the bottle, it was a whole lot better than at 2 weeks. I recently bought 2 coopers kits at 20 percent discount, so if they have that sale again, maybe I'll try the lager and the wheat again, and use different practices for both. Maybe ditch the kit yeast, and go with a true to style yeast, and see if they turn out any differently. But if what I brewed was the norm, I wouldn't buy either again.

I was told by a coopers distributor that the wheat kit uses a weizen yeast. Also, the packet was not the typical gold packet, but a silver packet. I'm about to bottle a coopers pilsner that used a white yeast packet, although I pitched the wort on top of the wheat cake, plus added the coopers yeast packet.....we'll see how that goes. I was a little disappointed that the wheat tasted exactly as the lager did at bottling, so I just threw the pilsener on top of the yeast cake to see how well it goes. Again, I'm learning, and it may not be a true pilsner, but as long as it tastes ok, I don't mind.

The two kits were definitely not what I was anticiipating, as a whole. Seperately, I don't usually like lagers, but I love wheats. If I had a choice of what the kit came with, I would not have chose the lager. The wheat definitely threw me for a loop. It was clear, and tasted like the lager. So Shooter, If I take two totally different worts and pitch the same yeast, I'll get the same beer? I hope not. But again, I'm very new to brewing, and I'm learning so much with every batch. Again, the HBT community has been very helpful, and I appreciate everyones input and help. Thanks again guys.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:35 AM   #28
Austinhomebrew
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainsBrew View Post
I've done several Cooper's Kits and I've always been impressed with the quality... I'm fermenting a Sparking Ale kit right now... still available on www.makebeer.net...
If you havent noticed www.makebeer.net is Coopers.

I can't get the kit because none of the distributors has it available.

Forrest

Old 10-05-2009, 04:56 PM   #29
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Quote:
I was told by a coopers distributor that the wheat kit uses a weizen yeast. Also, the packet was not the typical gold packet, but a silver packet. I'm about to bottle a coopers pilsner that used a white yeast packet...
Hmm, it's possible that the silver packet is something different. I've only done one Coopers kit and it came with their standard gold packet yeast. I have the sparkling ale kit waiting in the wings and it came with a white packet. It's one of their "premium" kits, but I've always had the understanding that it's the same yeast in a nice "premium" package. I don't know about the silver packets. If it's a wheat yeast, it sounds like they're going for a fairly flocullent strain.

Quote:
So Shooter, If I take two totally different worts and pitch the same yeast, I'll get the same beer? I hope not. But again, I'm very new to brewing, and I'm learning so much with every batch. Again, the HBT community has been very helpful, and I appreciate everyones input and help. Thanks again guys.
I can't speak to the Coopers canned kits as I'm waiting to do my second one soon and will be able to tell how different they are then. With the other canned kits I've made, Mr. Beer, the beers all have a similar base quality and taste to them if I keep the process and the yeast the same. I'm talking about their standard can with an additional 1 lb of light DME and normally pitching Nottingham yeast. They aren't identical, but there is a similar basic taste to them. I suspect that the manufacturers start with a similar base wort and then manipulate it slightly from one canned recipe to the next and the flavor differences can sometimes be subtle.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:01 PM   #30
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinhomebrew View Post
If you havent noticed www.makebeer.net is Coopers.

I can't get the kit because none of the distributors has it available.

Forrest
Right, I do see that you can get it directly from Coopers, but would rather order from you when I can!

I ended up finding a can at an LHBS up north. Thanks for checking into it!

Quick Reply