Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Coopers kit
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2012, 10:46 PM   #11
callback79
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Quebec, Qc
Posts: 99
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
Most of Cooper's kit cans are ales. Which one are you using out of curiosity? At least use an ice bath to get the brew in the kettle cooled down to 65-70F. That'll be a good starting temp. And a swamp cooler would be the cheapest way to keep it within temp range.
I'll use Real Ale for my first batch.
__________________
callback79 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 06:33 PM   #12
dwightr8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Woodinville, WA
Posts: 10
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I normally brew ag but I've recently tried Cooper's kits a couple of times. I started with a can (3 3/4 lbs) of Cooper's Real Ale, added 4 lbs of amber dme and 1/4 lb of malto dextrine (to give more body). This gave me an sg of 1.064 (it finished at about 1.016 for an abv of about 6.3%. I threw in an ounce of domestic saaz for the last few minutes of the cook (I only took it up to about 175 degrees F to kill off any possible bugs) to give it some hop aroma. I used a starter made from Wyeast Scottish Ale #1728. I gave it about a week in primary at around 65 degrees F and then put it in a keg for another couple of weeks also at 65 degrees and then into the refer. I was pleasantly suprised by the results. It's almost as good as most ag's I brew and a whole lot simpler to brew which was the reason for trying a kit in the first place. Anyway I guess this is a long way of saying Cooper's kits are a great starting point to brewing some pretty drinkable beers.

Cheers,

Dwight

__________________
dwightr8 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 07:13 PM   #13
Greenbasterd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Van, BC
Posts: 256
Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

around here dry malt extract is expensive($10/lb) but my local homebrew supply shop carry's liquid malt extract.. i always add 3lbs of pale liquid malt extract to my kits and then usually a couple cups of dextrose to bring it to my desired OG usually about 1.050.. i've tried most the kits and my fav so far is the english bitter. its not bitter BTW.
if you go the sugar route that the instructions tell you to you wont get a great beer. another option is only making 19L and using dextrose to get to your OG

__________________
Greenbasterd is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 07:36 PM   #14
james2507
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 9
Default

I agree that the English bitter is a nice kit, and you definitely get a lovely beer if you add spray malt, but you still get a drinkable beer of you just use sugar in my opinion, especially if your only doing a lager, it just makes it better adding the malt

__________________
james2507 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #15
callback79
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Quebec, Qc
Posts: 99
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Sorry to restart again this thread but I want to know if you guys prefer to use the yeast from the Coopers kit or if you use another yeast pack.

My friend wants to give me a pack of Fermentis Safale US-05.

Do you recommend to keep the original Coopers pack or switch to Fermentis ?

Thanks.

__________________
callback79 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2012, 10:36 PM   #16
james2507
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 9
Default

I've always used the coopers yeast and never had a problem, i only buy yeast if I'm doing innate brews or ag's. The yeast in the kits are usually fine

__________________
james2507 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2012, 11:55 PM   #17
dwightr8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Woodinville, WA
Posts: 10
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I'm not sure you would be able to tell any difference. AFAIK they are both fairly clean, neutral yeasts. If you want to try a yeast that would really change the flavor profile you would probably have to go to a liquid yeast from Wyeast or White Labs. A pretty good resource for a description of yeasts is:

http://www.byo.com/resources/yeast

Cheers,

Dwight

__________________
dwightr8 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #18
ronclark
Constant Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ronclark's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 210
Default

I use Coopers cans for most of my brews as a base. I usually add specialty grains, hops, other additives, and change the sugars up from the recommended ones. I have yet to brew anything that both myself and my friends are not very willing to consume with them.

When I am a bit confused, I hit uniondr up for fresh ideas on brewing with Coopers kits. He hasn't let me down yet.

From what I've seen, FestaBrew is all-included in one box with a bag inside. Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong on that assumption. If I am correct on that, you will gain much more from using Coopers kits due to the versatility of them.

__________________
Violence is not the answer, although it is a very good suggestion.
ronclark is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2012, 04:42 AM   #19
greenthumbed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Golden, BC
Posts: 82
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by callback79 View Post
Sorry to restart again this thread but I want to know if you guys prefer to use the yeast from the Coopers kit or if you use another yeast pack.

My friend wants to give me a pack of Fermentis Safale US-05.

Do you recommend to keep the original Coopers pack or switch to Fermentis ?

Thanks.
I still use the kit yeast now and again (mostly for stouts) but I would recommend using that US-05 yeast for American IPA's or PA's. The US-05 is likely a lot fresher and probably stored better thatn the kit yeast.

If using the kit yeast try to pitch two 7g packets.
__________________
greenthumbed is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2012, 05:04 PM   #20
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
unionrdr's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Sheffield, Ohio
Posts: 31,162
Liked 2304 Times on 2005 Posts
Likes Given: 1717

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightr8 View Post
I normally brew ag but I've recently tried Cooper's kits a couple of times. I started with a can (3 3/4 lbs) of Cooper's Real Ale, added 4 lbs of amber dme and 1/4 lb of malto dextrine (to give more body). This gave me an sg of 1.064 (it finished at about 1.016 for an abv of about 6.3%. I threw in an ounce of domestic saaz for the last few minutes of the cook (I only took it up to about 175 degrees F to kill off any possible bugs) to give it some hop aroma. I used a starter made from Wyeast Scottish Ale #1728. I gave it about a week in primary at around 65 degrees F and then put it in a keg for another couple of weeks also at 65 degrees and then into the refer. I was pleasantly suprised by the results. It's almost as good as most ag's I brew and a whole lot simpler to brew which was the reason for trying a kit in the first place. Anyway I guess this is a long way of saying Cooper's kits are a great starting point to brewing some pretty drinkable beers.

Cheers,

Dwight
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronclark View Post
I use Coopers cans for most of my brews as a base. I usually add specialty grains, hops, other additives, and change the sugars up from the recommended ones. I have yet to brew anything that both myself and my friends are not very willing to consume with them.

When I am a bit confused, I hit uniondr up for fresh ideas on brewing with Coopers kits. He hasn't let me down yet.

From what I've seen, FestaBrew is all-included in one box with a bag inside. Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong on that assumption. If I am correct on that, you will gain much more from using Coopers kits due to the versatility of them.
Yup,the Cooper's cans,especially the OS (Original Series) cans that have bittering only. So many ways to change or improve them with grains,other malt extracts (I like to add palin DME),hoops,different sugars,etc. They work quite well indeed in this regard. Check out my recipes for ideas on how I use them. I've got a new wheat beer idea in the works for when I get the stove fixed.
And Cooper's yeast is just fine re-hydrated. But I have to say that the US-05 is cleaner insomuch as it's less fruity. Very little fruit flavor in fact. So it depends on the style really. We've used both,& that's our observation of the two. And thanks for the props,Ron!
__________________
Everything works if ya let it-Roady(meatloaf)
NEW, REVISED EDITION of book one of Time Lords 2034 series now on Amazon Kindle! http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NTA0L6G
My homebrewing book "Tippy Tippy Tappy" on Kindle! http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PBAP6JO
unionrdr is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Coopers Stout vs Coopers Irish Stout HopSong Extract Brewing 26 02-14-2012 08:37 PM
help with coopers IPA EPS Extract Brewing 4 03-11-2011 05:29 PM
Coopers help, please...!!!!!! sirquack Extract Brewing 3 07-04-2010 05:35 AM
15% off Coopers kit! TexasStu Extract Brewing 8 04-22-2009 09:35 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS