Old 06-16-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
callback79
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Coopers kit

Hi,

I'd like to know some opinions about Coopers kits. I'm very new to this game and Coopers kits have a good price in a local store not far from my home. I was reading the instructions and didn't see anything regarding primary/secondary, after further reading, I noticed these kits only need a "primary" fermentation.

Are these kits good for beginners ?

Do you recommend other brands that will give better results for the same low complexity work ? (I mean I don't want to start from grains or other more complex methods, but using kits that needs secondary will be fine)

I can also purchase FestaBrew kits at the same store for about 2x the price of Coopers kit.

I'm from Canada so kits from Northen Brewer is not an option for me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

Coopers are a good place to start. Generally, for any simple kit the price will depend on the weight, to say how much malt extract is in it.

Secondary fermentation has fallen out of use. It slows down the clean up process by removing most of the yeast. Typically, people ferment for 3-4 weeks, then rack to the bottling bucket or keg.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-16-2012, 08:38 PM   #3
james2507
Recipes 

Coopers kits are a great place to start, I have done all grain brews as well as partial extract brews and kit brews and I always use coopers kits, they are easy to do and Taste pretty damn good. If you need information on how to brew them then watch some videos on craigtube channel on YouTube, the guy in the video (Craig farraway) does a 4 part series on brewing a coopers kit. Watching his videos got me Into brewing have fun and hope it works out for you

Old 06-17-2012, 02:57 AM   #4
callback79
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thank you guys, that seems promising.

I'll give it a try.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:17 AM   #5
greenthumbed
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I use Cooper's kit for most of my brews. They are versatile and moderately priced. My favouite kits are the OS Draught (for Pale ales), OS real (for IPAs), English Bitter and OS stout. If you add some spec. grains and some good yeast to these kits they can become excellent.

The instructions are too basic. Most importantly brew your brew @ 18C and no higher. Rack to a secondary if you wish. I do this for every brew because it frees up my primary for the next batch.

Check this site out http://http://www.coopers.com.au/the...ng?g=forum&c=8 It really is the best place to get info for breiwng with Cooper's. Tons of recipes and info plus the folks down under are quite comical and are good for a laugh!

Old 06-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #6
callback79
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Last question, I've read that you don't need secondaries when using Coopers kit, do we only have to transfer the beer right in the kegs ? Does it have lot of sediments after the fermentation ? Thanks.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:27 AM   #7
christpuncher123
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Try the brew Canada kits if they are available. I find the quality to be better, they actually have pieces of hops in the can.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:00 PM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2421 Times on 2108 Posts
Likes Given: 1782

By the time you get down to a stable FG,it'll already be starting to clear. It may take up to another week or so to clean up after itself & settle out clear or slightly misty. Then keg or bottle.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:06 PM   #9
callback79
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thank you guys, I've purchased my first Coopers kit. It's an Ale. I think I will wait few days before starting it because my basement's temperature is over 86F. Maybe I'll try a swamp cooler this weekend if I'm too impatient...

Old 06-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2421 Times on 2108 Posts
Likes Given: 1782

Most of Cooper's kit cans are ales. Which one are you using out of curiosity? At least use an ice bath to get the brew in the kettle cooled down to 65-70F. That'll be a good starting temp. And a swamp cooler would be the cheapest way to keep it within temp range.

Quick Reply