Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Coopers Ginger Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2005, 10:47 AM   #21
80/-
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvaRizla
I have the kit on order, I'll post some sort of review/brew diary when it gets here

Silva

Mine arrived last week and has been bubbling under the stairs for about 6 days now.

I used a bag of Cane Sugar as the recipe on the tin suggests (which is actually 2.2lbs v's the 2lb the recipe suggests) but I wasn't convinced about the aroma coming from the fermenter being strong enough for my tastes. So, based on the suggestion made earlier, I added a little ground cinnamon and also a couple of extra teaspoons of dried Ginger.

I was then away for the weekend and when I came back, the ferment was in full swing with a great spicy Ginger smell coming from the fermenter. I added another 1/2 lb of sugar (to get the potential abv up to nearer 4%) and gave it a gentle stir.

The instructions state fermentation should be done in a week - but mine is still going strong so I'll wait until the visible activity dies down and then do a couple of FG readings just to make sure I'm not making any glass grenades when I bottle.

It's then a matter of being patient for a few weeks before I can report back with some tasting notes.

Slainte !

80/-

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2005, 12:12 PM   #22
80/-
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It's still going ! SG is at 1010 now - about 2 weeks since it started fermenting.

It's still on a downwards trend so I'll just need to be patient until the fermentation stops.

80/-

Old 09-15-2005, 09:03 PM   #23
Franiblector
Recipes 

i'm gonna brew up a batch of brewers best IPA with some fresh ginger this weekend... i'll let you know how it turns out.

i'm going to try 1 ounce in the last 10 minutes of the boil and then dry-hopping another ounce in secondary.
hopefully it won't over power the brew.

Old 09-15-2005, 09:08 PM   #24
Franiblector
Recipes 

80/- did you put all that in the primary? i'd be surprised if it turns out ok...contamination etc.

and 2.5 lbs of ginger is a LOT.

i spoke to a microbrew guy at a recent brewfest and he told me to watch out how much ginger i add to my batch because it will definitely overpower your beer if you aren't careful.

Old 09-15-2005, 10:01 PM   #25
Vgonman
Recipes 

My homebrew supplier suggested a saison kit and 2 tbsp. grated ginger...........I am going to give it a try as soon as i bottle up one of my batches........

Old 09-15-2005, 10:55 PM   #26
DragonTail

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 21

The ginger (yes 2.5lbs.) is in the boil. This is a grain/extract recipe. I was shooting for a Ginger ale not an ale that has a ginger background to it. The idea was for an alcoholic version of ginger ale soda with few beer aspects. There are a few people in my group of friends that aren't big beer drinkers.

Michael Herrenbruck
Herrenbruck Brewery
L.C.Q. Racing

Old 09-16-2005, 11:47 AM   #27
Vgonman
Recipes 

Let us know when you have the finished product. I bet that it will be something like Bleinheim Ginger Ale sold here in the Carolinas. It is so firey that you have to be ready for one.......refreshingm yes, but you had better really like hot spicy stuff!

Old 09-16-2005, 04:29 PM   #28
DragonTail

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I've already had a case and a half of this. The batch was done back at the begining of summer. It's not as hot as everyone is thinking. Actually its not hot at all. There is just a very good ginger flavor. Most of the heat was cooked off in the boil, and the rest in primary fermentation. I was actually thinking of adding some more, in the next batch, in the secondary (think dry hop), to get a little heat into it.

Michael Herrenbruck
Herrenbruck Brewery
L.C.Q. Racing

Old 09-17-2005, 12:18 AM   #29
80/-
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

As coincedence would have it - I've just tasted my first bottle of the Coopers Extract based Ginger Beer.

The smell from the bottle is nice - very spicy with a hint of lime. Carbonation is not all it could be - a little sparkle but not real fizz, but that doesn't really detract from the taste.

There's a real ginger heat to the taste - not to begin with , but building up slowly after the first mouthful. Despite the FG being around 1.000, there is still quite a sweetness - probably from the artificial sweetners in the extract - personally, I could live with it being a little drier.

I'm pretty impressed - although I'll try and leave it another few weeks to see if it ages out a bit more in the bottles

80/-

In Secondary:
Bock Bier

On tap
Burton Bridge Summer Ale

In Bottles:
Darth's Imperial Stout
Belgian Grand Cru
Belgian Trippel
Belgian Abbey
Raspbeery Wheat
Ginger Beer
IPA
'04 Cider

Next up:
Pale Ale
Bramble Oat Stout

Old 09-17-2005, 12:24 AM   #30
ScottT

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonTail
I've already had a case and a half of this. The batch was done back at the begining of summer. It's not as hot as everyone is thinking. Actually its not hot at all. There is just a very good ginger flavor. Most of the heat was cooked off in the boil, and the rest in primary fermentation. I was actually thinking of adding some more, in the next batch, in the secondary (think dry hop), to get a little heat into it.
Haven't any of you ever cooked with fresh ginger? I use it in stirfry all the time and while super hot to the toung when it's fresh, it mellows and sweetens when cooked. Onions and Garlic are the same.

I know that DragonTail is accurately describing his brew. Sounds pretty darn good to me.

Scott

Primary: Empty

Secondary #2: Empty

Bottle Conditioning: Oatmeal Stout

Drinking from Keg: Ordinary Bitter, Kolsch

Drinking bottled: Brown Autumn Wee Heavy
Hefe Weizen
Peaches and Cream Weizen

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption... Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck.

Next up: Hefe Weizen

Quick Reply