*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Cooper's Draught Beer Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2007, 04:14 PM   #1
Mutilated1
Beer Drenched Executioner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Cooper's Draught Beer Kit

When I started homebrewing, one of the things I decided to do was get most all of the regular Cooper's brewing kits and try them out one by one. I put in my two cents about the Mexican Cerveca kit in another thread, but I haven't seen any discussion review of Cooper's Draught so I thought I would give this review in case anyone is considering getting a can kit to start out with.

I made this kit a couple months ago and just got around to drinking some of it last night.

I made the kit with the recommended Cooper's brewing sugar, and let it ferment for 2 weeks in the primary and 2 weeks in the secondary. Bottled it and let it sit for almost 7 weeks before drinking.

The result ?

Well the beer is good enough, its basically a clone of Miller Genuine Draft. If you and your buddies drink regular BMC type beer, you'd probably like it good enough. Its funny, but the beer turned out almost exactly like I had hoped it would when I was making it, but in the time since I've been making and drinking my own beers, my tastes have changed enough that drinking a beer like this is good, but not exactly impressive or anything to get excited about.

I bet if I opened a can of MGD and opened a can of this beer and poured them both side by side you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. That might be good or bad depending on your point of view.

I don't really think I'd bother trying to make this kit again though, but if you're looking to make a clone of beer from the store - give this kit a try. If you're looking for a really great beer that will be better than that - maybe keep looking.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2007, 04:31 PM   #2
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

using corn sugar for half your fermentables often does give it that BMC mouthfeel (or lack of mouthfeel as it were).

I've not been a fan of any Cooper's kit. Cheap yeast, pre-hopped extract, they encourage corn sugar for primary fermentation...
Sure its beer, but its at the bottom of the totem pole in my book.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 10-12-2007, 04:52 PM   #3
Mutilated1

Recipes 

Yeah I don't think it would ever occur to me to make another batch of this kit. But on the other hand I remember when I first started making my own beer and posting here one of the things I was after was making beer that tastes like beer from the can. Seems like from reading the posts I'm not the only one who wanted to make a regular BMC kind of beer. If thats what you're after, Cooper's draught will get that for you. The only bad news is, what you end up with is not really any better than what you'd get if you just picked up a couple cases of MGD in the first place.

One the one hand I'd consider it a success cause I made the beer I set out to make and it tastes pretty good. On the other hand, I've grown to appreciate better beer so making homemade Miller Genuine Draft is a bit of a hollow victory.

Old 10-12-2007, 05:39 PM   #4
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

are there any decent Munton's extract kits out there?

Old 10-12-2007, 06:02 PM   #5
Mutilated1

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinDave07
are there any decent Munton's extract kits out there?
I made the Munton's Premium Lager kit a couple of times and enjoyed it very much. I would definitely continue to make it again. First time I made it with rice syrup solids because I was told that is what Budweiser is made with. Well it didn't turn out like Budweiser, but it did turn out almost exactly like Yuengling's Lager. It had a bit of a twang to it tastewise untill I let it sit in the bottle for 4-5 weeks, after that it was very tasty.

I made the Cooper's Lager kit a couple of times as well, but I think the Munton's tastes considerably better.

I've been toying with the idea of making a batch with two cans instead of with one can and extra fermentables. Maybe try a can of Munton's Lager and a Can of Cooper's Lager at the same time ? I bet it would be pretty good because both Cooper's and Munton's make a great Lager kit - it turns out much better than the disappointing Cooper's Draught kit that I made.

If nothing else, it doesn't cost a lot to try and the kits are nice and easy.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:07 PM   #6
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

have you ever tried a munton's ale? Cooper's ale?

Old 10-12-2007, 06:11 PM   #7
Mutilated1

Recipes 

I have not tried the Munton's Ale. I've cooked the Cooper's Ale, but I haven't tasted it yet. In a week or two when I've finished drinking the batches I'm drinking on now I will post and report/review on the Cooper's Real Ale.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:18 PM   #8
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutilated1
I have not tried the Munton's Ale. I've cooked the Cooper's Ale, but I haven't tasted it yet. In a week or two when I've finished drinking the batches I'm drinking on now I will post and report/review on the Cooper's Real Ale.
Looking forward to the report.

Cheers!

Old 10-12-2007, 07:39 PM   #9
grasshopper1917
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just bottled some coopers real ale today - I made it with an add-a-beer from the local brewstore (basically a 3 pound container with liquid malt extract on top and some liquid glucose on the bottom).

It turned out pretty dark - I had a taste from the sample i took for the FG. It is was urprisingly light tasting a very nice flavor to it. OG was 1041 FG 1008. Ill let you guys know how it is after I open it in a few weeks.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:01 PM   #10
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper1917
I just bottled some coopers real ale today - I made it with an add-a-beer from the local brewstore (basically a 3 pound container with liquid malt extract on top and some liquid glucose on the bottom).

It turned out pretty dark - I had a taste from the sample i took for the FG. It is was urprisingly light tasting a very nice flavor to it. OG was 1041 FG 1008. Ill let you guys know how it is after I open it in a few weeks.
Definately let us know.

Quick Reply