The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > coopers cerveza kit plus wyeast lager yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2011, 05:32 PM   #1
9am53
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default coopers cerveza kit plus wyeast lager yeast

I have a coopers corona kit that I want to use up (it was free) but the yeast is expired. I was thinking I would use a proper lager yeast and use the BE2 and can 'o LME to try to make a really neutral cerveza for my wife to drink, has anybody done this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 10:52 PM   #2
PT Ray
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I haven't done the Cerveza but have done the Traditional Draught, Australian Bitter and Heritage lager using WLP 0830 German Lager yeast. Used them with sugar, sugar + malt extract and mini-mashes. They all turned out to be good lagers. Without out additional grains or hops they make for some easy crowd pleasers.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:00 AM   #3
9am53
Recipes 

thanks, that's perfect!

Old 05-04-2011, 12:45 PM   #4
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1829 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 1298

I just realized something interesting while me,my wife,&son were at the kitchen table enjoying some Sam Adam's Summer Ale. As some of you know,I've been going back to re-try the craft beers I'd forgotten the taste of,since starting home brewing.
Well,The first thing that shocked me was that the brew looked & tasted like the OS lager kit I made with the brewing sugar. But I'd swear that it had Willamette hops in it. I got the earthy,slightly spicy hit 1st,then that unmistakable floral hit on the roof of my mouth. It was right around where the nostrils connect,so I was getting a residual floweriness as well. The floral quality was very well defined too. Nice! Now I'll give adding Willamette a try To the OS lager/brewing sugar for a light session brew.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:27 PM   #5
petep1980

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I like to add a flavoring hops to cooper's kits. They work well though with partial mashes.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:50 PM   #6
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 1829 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 1298

Just started listening to Pantera doing Planet Caravan (Black Sabbath) while re-reading this...meeeellooow... But 2 ounces of Willamette to the OS lager kit with brewing sugar should be real close to the Sam Adam's summer ale. Gunna try that.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:49 AM   #7
9am53
Recipes 

i ended up just pitching the coopers yeast because it turns out to be a their european lager yeast kit and give instructions to ferment at cooler temps. Fermentation has started, but there is a bit of white foam in the krausen which has me thinking it's infected...We'll see, I wouldn't be surprised if it were infected, I had trouble keeping everything sanitized when I didn't have a big brew bucket to keep starsan in...

Old 05-05-2011, 11:21 AM   #8
PT Ray
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Coopers Cerveza comes with a lager/ale yeast blend. The Euro Lager comes with a lager yeast. I've used their lager/ale blend down to 50F though you need more than just the 7g packet to do it. You can wait for fermentation to start then bring the temp down. It will come out with lager characteristics but not like it would if using a pure lager strain.

The white foam is what you get when fermentation just starts to take off. Then when activity picks up you get the bigger bubbles.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:24 AM   #9
9am53
Recipes 

cool thanks. I am going to keep it in my closet upstairs at about 73 degrees (packet says to ferment at 70-80) for 2 weeks and then move it to the basement which is at about 52-53 and leave it there for a couple months. Would it be ok to leave it in primary that long? Do lagers usually get racked before going down in temps to lager?

Old 05-05-2011, 11:50 AM   #10
PT Ray
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Generally 70+ degrees is too high for primary fermentation. I don't exactly know why Coopers puts it in their instructions. I speculate it makes their kit more marketable to other parts of the world and allows the beer to finish quicker.

If you want more esters, ferment at 68. To mute the esters, ferment in the low 60's. Or, after it gets going put it in your basement to ferment. For a simple light lager I'll leave it in the fermenter for 4-6 weeks before packaging. I do crash it down to 34 degrees for the last couple weeks.

Quick Reply