Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Coopers Beer kits?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #11
edb23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

well I just got the regular lager kit, which I guess is actually just like a pale ale. I brewed it but first steeped some rye and crystal 40L, and boiled some tettnag hops for 5 minutes. I plan on aging on bourbon soaked oak as well, maybe it'll turn out good.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 09:07 PM   #12
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by edb23 View Post
well I just got the regular lager kit, which I guess is actually just like a pale ale. I brewed it but first steeped some rye and crystal 40L, and boiled some tettnag hops for 5 minutes. I plan on aging on bourbon soaked oak as well, maybe it'll turn out good.
Sounds like a really nice tweak you got going on for it! Best of luck. I did the Cooper's Lager as my first beer exactly per their instructions. Of course I'd read on here to let it sit much longer in the fermenter etc but figured it was my first beer so for learning experience I wanted to see what it was like done too young.

The Lager is definitely an unusual tasting beer. It's not bad, but not also not so good. All this while I just pinned it on yeast byproducts left uncleaned up since I bottled it after a week (hydro reading was spot on). But I saw a vid by SteelJan on Youtube and in the comments she says that most Americans probably will find the Cooper's beers off tasting because of their predominate use of Pride of Ringwood hops which taste different than most other hops. What she said seems to be exactly concurrent with the taste I'm getting with the Lager, just a different type of hop tartness to it.

I think your addition of Tettnang will do well to level it out.

Rev.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:17 PM   #13
ChaosBrewing
Recipes 

Default Coopers Real Ale

I have some Coopers Real Ale in the primary now. I started it yesterday with 1.5lbs of Muntons Plain DME and 1lb of corn sugar. From what I have read the kits are made to use both malt extract and sugar. Corn sugar is what Mr. Beer sells in the beer kits to complete their kits, and Coopers sells a mix of Corn sugar and DME in their enhancement kits.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:11 PM   #14
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1852 Times on 1633 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

Their brew enhancer2 is the one with dextrose,maltodextrin,& light DME. The brew enhancer1 & brewing sugar are dextrose & maltodextrin. The brewing sugar def made the OS lager have a bit better mouth feel. I used plain extra light DME with the OS lager can,& two different aroma/flavor hop additions. Good stuff. I've got most of the ingredients for another can/bag brew. This time,I'm using the OS draught can for a bit more color,flavor,3lbs of plain light DME (rather than plain extra light),again for a bit more flavor/color. I'll use the kit yeast in a small starter as well. But this time,instead of Kent Golding & Willamette hops,I'm gunna use 1oz Saaz hops...maybe 2oz's? Or throw in an ounce of Willamette.? I had an ale a couple of weeks ago that had Saaz hops in it,can't remember the name,though. But I really enjoyed the spiciness of those hops.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:15 PM   #15
BaddogBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have made their Real Ale before and it is definately a drinkable beer, I did go 4 weeks in primamry and 4 weeks bottle conditioning.

Quick Reply