Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Converting AG Recipes to Extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2007, 06:19 PM   #1
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Converting AG Recipes to Extract

I'm wondering when converting from AG to extract, do the amounts for specialty grains remain the same? For example, if the AG recipe calls for 1/4lb chocolate malt, would the extract recipe use the same amount for steeping?

Seems to me like if that's the case then converting a recipe should be pretty easy, just convert the base grains to extract and away you go.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2007, 06:38 PM   #2
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

When I copied a recipe for a friend I just removed the 2-row and added in DME until the OG was the same. His beer ended up tasting a tiny bit different but I think that it was from whatever malts were used in the making of the DME he used.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 04-02-2007, 06:38 PM   #3
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJadedDog
I'm wondering when converting from AG to extract, do the amounts for specialty grains remain the same? For example, if the AG recipe calls for 1/4lb chocolate malt, would the extract recipe use the same amount for steeping?

Seems to me like if that's the case then converting a recipe should be pretty easy, just convert the base grains to extract and away you go.
All the recommendations I have seen seem to suggest this is the way to go.
A couple caveats:
Malts like Brown Malt, Munich, Vienna and some others require mashing with base malts for conversion.
Adjuncts like flaked oats or barley should be mashed for conversion.
If you don't do full wort boils then hop utilization will be affected and the amount of hops may need to be adjusted.
Still if I look at recipes like those in BYO that list AG and extract versions they usually just replace the base malt with pale extract or vise versa.
Craig

Quick Reply