The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Convert Plain Malt to Extra Light Malt Extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2007, 03:49 AM   #1
BlackZX3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Convert Plain Malt to Extra Light Malt Extract

Most of my recipes call for Muntons Extra-light Malt Extract. However, I have Muntons Plain Malt Extract. Is there a conversion factor so that I end up with a similair gravity/SRM? The recipe I want to use calls for 6lbs of Extra Light Malt Extract. I am interested in making a German Helles Beer. Currently, I have an octoberfest in the fermentor, I was planning on brewing the helles, transferring the oktoberfest into secondary, then putting the helles on top of the Bohemian Lager Trub at the botom of the fermentor. Am I close?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2007, 05:04 AM   #2
magno

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

You could use the same amount of pale extract as you would have if it were extra pale. Your gravity should be right on, but the beer may be a touch darker.

Alternatively, there should be a way to use some pale extract, and some corn sugar to keep the color in line too. I dont have ProMash here, but some one with the program could figure this out.

I would use the extract that you have, and not worry too much about the color.

- magno

EDIT: It sounds like your plan to pitch the new wort on the old cake is spot on.

Primary: Barley Wine

Secondary: Red Ale, Pale Ale

Conditioning:

Drinking: Brown Ale, 75 min. IPA, Oatmeal Stout, Poor Richard's Ale, Chocolate Cherry Stout

Old 08-01-2007, 12:03 PM   #3
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My 2 cents: There is always going to be a "next" brew...use the plain in a future brew and grab the xtra light for your current recipe if you want to keep your color. If color is not that much an issue, use it.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:12 PM   #4
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

The different varieties of Muntons just refers to color and if memory serves there is not a huge difference between the extra light and the pale. Unless you are trying to brew to style or really hate having a darker beer, I wouldn't worry about using it.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Quick Reply