Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Constantly short by a gallon or so on batches....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 02:10 AM   #1
Rush
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Constantly short by a gallon or so on batches....

So I have a large outdoor kettle that I use for full-boil batches. I've measured my stir-stick up to the 5 gallon point with a marker and I always measure up to this point before I start the cool-down for the wort, but my last two batches have both come up 3/4-1g short which I noticed both times when I transferred to carboy. What is your technique to making sure you are hitting your targeted batch volume? Please... I am tired of having 10 extra bottles on bottling day!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 02:17 AM   #2
cdubbaya
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 12

If you are consistently short, try bumping up your target volume. It seems you are miscalculating your final volume with boil off, trub loss, etc.

Honey Double IPA

Old 12-17-2012, 02:24 AM   #3
PackerfaninSanDiego
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 7

you lose about a gallon during the boiling process.you should be starting with 6 gallons

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

Old 12-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #4
MarkIafrate
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I do stovetop brewing and I learned through a few batches that starting with 2.25 to 2.5 gallons gives me enough for the boil accounting for boiloff.

Then I usually top off to 5.25 or 5.75 gallons depending on the size of the carboy I'm using for that batch. I find I normally lose around 0.5 to 1.0 gallons to trub.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
hanson95
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've heard that you also lose some volume (~5%) to the cooling effect. For a 5 gallon batch, that equates to about 1/4 gallon loss, if my calculations are correct. Another 1/2 gallon loss to trub would account for your total 3/4 gallon loss. I aim for 5 3/4 gallons at the end of boil to wind up with about 5 - 5 1/4 gallons to ferment.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
boscobeans
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 306

How much break are you leaving in the kettle?

bosco

Old 12-18-2012, 01:52 PM   #7
TheCrackpot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I try to have around six gallons in the kettle after the boil. This way, I can lose a half gallon to trub in the kettle and a half gallon to trub in the fermenter and end up with five gallons to bottle. I find that I lose around two gallons to evaporation during the boil so I always start out with at least eight gallons of wort. It took me several batches to become consistent in this respect. It also helps to learn how to gauge how strong your boil is and try to repeat it from batch to batch.

Primary: Cherry Cyser
Kegged: Mosaic Amarillo IPA
Bottled: Galaxy Burst IPA, Pliny the Elder, Enjoy By Clone 2, Simcoe Double Sunshine, Mole Stout, HopSlam!, Floodwater Stout 1, Floodwater Stout 2

Old 12-19-2012, 01:54 PM   #8
brtisbuck
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrackpot View Post
I try to have around six gallons in the kettle after the boil. This way, I can lose a half gallon to trub in the kettle and a half gallon to trub in the fermenter and end up with five gallons to bottle. I find that I lose around two gallons to evaporation during the boil so I always start out with at least eight gallons of wort. It took me several batches to become consistent in this respect. It also helps to learn how to gauge how strong your boil is and try to repeat it from batch to batch.
It sounds to me like you are loosing an awful lot during the boil. How hard are you boiling? You only need to keep a constant "rolling boil". There is no need to boil the living snot out of it.

For a 5 gallon batch I normally start with 6.25 gallons of water plus my extract. I typically end up with just over the 5 gallon mark into my fermenter with no top off. (I strain down my wort as far as possible). Come bottling day I typically hit 51 12oz bottles (although I keg now). I might only get 49 or 50 if its a heavy ale or I dry hopped the heck out of it.

In the botte: Wheat, American Pale Ale
In Primary #1: Light Hybrid #1
Primary #2: Light Hybrid #2
On Deck: IPA
In Design: California Common

Old 12-19-2012, 02:55 PM   #9
boscobeans
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush View Post
So I have a large outdoor kettle that I use for full-boil batches. I've measured my stir-stick up to the 5 gallon point with a marker and I always measure up to this point before I start the cool-down for the wort, but my last two batches have both come up 3/4-1g short which I noticed both times when I transferred to carboy. What is your technique to making sure you are hitting your targeted batch volume? Please... I am tired of having 10 extra bottles on bottling day!

By "measure up" do you mean that you're adding water to the five gallon mark before cooling??

bosco

Quick Reply