Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Compensating For Trub Loss

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2005, 05:17 PM   #11
gibfried
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Right, right, right, right, right....

You got me there pal

Primary: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Aging: Ugly Monk Belgium Abbey
Drinking: Heavenly Honey Wheat,Chocolate Stout, London Porter, Big Fat Fatty's Oatmeal Stout, Pete's Porter, California Not So Common, Ugly Monk Belgium Abbey, Maple Brown
Upcoming Brew: Bass Clone, Fosters (a light drink for those who think beer has to be light).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2005, 02:53 PM   #12
Clay
Recipes 

I never really thought about compensating. Good idea to start off with 5.5 to 6 gallons though. I think I might do that with my next batch.

Up Next: Dry Irish Stout
Primary:
2nd: Dark Cherry Stout
In the Keg:
Gone: Boddington's Pub Ale Clone, New Castle Clone, Guiness Clone

Old 09-25-2005, 04:23 PM   #13
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I always do 5.5.

I also mark my containers with 1 gal and 1/2 gal lines. I use my wife's red nail polish. It's been on there for years!

Old 09-25-2005, 04:33 PM   #14
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 21 Posts

I have one bucket that came with marks, but my new bucket didn't. I keep forgetting to mark on the new bucket, so I just eye-ball the hell out of it and hope for the best.

I noticed that pouring the beer from the kettle through a fine mesh strainer, a little bit at a time, does a good job of removing the hops and grain trub. You end up aerating it quite a bit, but I then use the same strainer (rinsed in a clean sink filled with very lightly bleached water each time) to skim off some of the foam on top. Then I pitch the yeast and stir.

When I did this with my Kolsch, there was minimal trub in the bottom of the primary after a week. I looked like mostly spent yeast. Last night, I used this method again and ended up removing huge amounts of the hops from the wort. Cranted, some made it into the wort due to over-flows on the strainer, but I'm willing to keep a little bit in my beer to give it a little hoppier of a flavor.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Quick Reply