Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Cold Crash an Oatmeal Stout?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
stewart194
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default Cold Crash an Oatmeal Stout?

Should I Cold Crash my Oatmeal Stout before bottling?

Does Cold Crashing only help with clarity or are there other advantages to doing it?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 04:24 PM   #2
shanecb
Kvlt Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Most people do it as a clarity step, which I personally wouldn't even worry about in a dark oatmeal stout. There are some nuances of flavor differences, but I personally don't see it being advantageous for this style.

But then again, there's no reason NOT to, so if you want to experiment cold crash it for a few days before bottling and see how you like the results.

We are the Sons of Winter and Stars
We ́ve come from a far beyond time
Forever the fire burns in our hearts
Our world shall never die
- Wintersun

Old 01-29-2013, 04:36 PM   #3
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 57

I cold crashed my last oatmeal stout just to reduce the amount of yeast. If you have space in the fridge to crash it, I would do it.

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
Woodland Brewing Research Blog Applied Science for Better Beer.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #4
stewart194
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanecb View Post
Most people do it as a clarity step, which I personally wouldn't even worry about in a dark oatmeal stout. There are some nuances of flavor differences, but I personally don't see it being advantageous for this style.

But then again, there's no reason NOT to, so if you want to experiment cold crash it for a few days before bottling and see how you like the results.
Thanks! That was definitely what I was thinking. Since clarity is not a factor in a dark beer like this, I wasn't planning on cold crashing unless there was another reason / advantage to doing this.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:01 PM   #5
stewart194
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlandBrew View Post
I cold crashed my last oatmeal stout just to reduce the amount of yeast. If you have space in the fridge to crash it, I would do it.
Thanks for the reply! What does it do exactly? I guess reducing the amount of yeast in the final beer will make a difference in the way it tastes?

I do have the room in my fridge. How long do both of you cold crash for when you do it?

Thanks again!

Old 01-29-2013, 05:06 PM   #6
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Two days seems long enough to drop most of the yeast out. Some always gets mixed back in when racking, so I never crash more than a couple of days. My goal is 1 million cells per milliliter. if you don't crash it will eventually drop to the bottom of the bottle when you refrigerate the beer. I don't like to see a whole lot of trub in my bottles. the more yeast in the bottom the more will get mixed in when you pour. So it's about both presentation and taste for me.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:12 PM   #7
stewart194
Recipes 

Thanks again! I read somewhere that some people cold crash for a week, so that's what I'm currently doing with an Irish Red that I'm bottling this weekend. Do you think that is completely unnecessary? Is it harmful in any way?

I cold crashed my last IPA for 2 days before bottling, and it didn't seem to clear up that well. It's still really hazy. Then again, I didn't have my wort chiller built yet, and it took over an hour to get down to pitching temp using an ice bath. I'll pay attention to the amount of yeast that's in the bottom of the bottle when I get home tonight.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:34 PM   #8
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

It sounds like a experiment I would like to try. I can't imagine it will hurt, and it's possible that the protein takes longer to fall out of suspension than yeast. The only down side I see is that it adds to production time. If the beer was still cloudy after being refriderated for a while (after bottling) I'm not sure that extra time cold crashing would make a difference. It might be a chill haze problem.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #9
dlcumpton
Recipes 

"American Amber Ale" I'm at 8 days in the primary and I was planning on cold crashing the primary this Sunday which will be a total of 14 days in primary, no secondary. How long should I cold crash this in the fridge and still have enough healthy yeast for bottling??

Old 01-29-2013, 06:44 PM   #10
shanecb
Kvlt Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlcumpton View Post
"American Amber Ale" I'm at 8 days in the primary and I was planning on cold crashing the primary this Sunday which will be a total of 14 days in primary, no secondary. How long should I cold crash this in the fridge and still have enough healthy yeast for bottling??
I've cold crashed for over a week and still had plenty left for bottling. Even if the beer looks clear to the eye there's still a ton of yeast in suspension. But cold crashing for 2 or 3 days is typically sufficient for my beers, so would be a good starting point.

We are the Sons of Winter and Stars
We ́ve come from a far beyond time
Forever the fire burns in our hearts
Our world shall never die
- Wintersun

Quick Reply