Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Cloudy Hefeweizen - let it sit in secondary, or bottle??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2012, 05:21 AM   #11
heckler73
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 2

well, I went with 3.45 priming dextrose, but I have some nice swingtops that came with a hefe from Germany.

I did find this interesting read. Has anyone primed with the wort and fresh yeast "Speisse" as suggested?

Quote:
Next, siphon 2 qts. (~2 L)) of hot wort (for Speise) into a container. Let the wort cool, then seal the container and refrigerate until needed. Chill wort and rack to a clean, sanitized fermenter. Aerate, pitch yeast and ferment at 68 °F (20 °C). Prime with Speise and bottle.

On bottling or kegging day, take the Speise out of the refrigerator and let it warm up to room temperature. Because at home you are dealing with just a single batch, you must inoculate your saved “unpitched” wort before using it as a Speise. Thus, pitch the second package of yeast into your Speise, close the container and shake it vigorously to aerate it. Then pour the Speise into a clean carboy or a Cornelius keg and rack the fully fermented brew into it for a thorough mix. Transfer the inoculated beer into bottles or keep it in the closed Cornelius keg
I think I'll give that a go on my next hefe.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2012, 07:45 PM   #12
gtlaw10
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

around the forum i've seen that technique referred to as 'krausening.' lots of members have done it, i believe it's also documented in the wiki. very traditional german technique - do it up.

On Deck ~ filthy mongrel;
Bottled ~ Abbot 12 - belgian dark strong; duesseldorf alt; honey nut brown; zombie puke - ABA; maori warrior - NZIPA

Creamy,thick,velvety head. - unionrdr

Old 03-07-2012, 03:15 AM   #13
heckler73
Recipes 

Well, here she be! It's awesome. Perfectly good head, and wonderful fruity hefe smell. Thanks for the advice!

feb-14-hefe.jpg  
Old 03-07-2012, 03:27 AM   #14
heckler73
Recipes 

Simple, yet very effective!

Hefeweisen O.G 1.045-1.050
7.25 lbs wheat Malt Extract
0.65 lb Wheat malt
0.65 lb pilsner malt
0.65 oz Perle whole hops (60 minutes)
3068 yeast smackpack

6.6 oz of priming dextrose with 1-1/3 cups boiling water

Old 03-07-2012, 03:37 AM   #15
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 683 Times on 504 Posts
Likes Given: 266

i've seen that some brewers add flour to the boil to ensure cloudiness. 1/2-cup per 5 gal if i remember correctly.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 03-07-2012, 01:22 PM   #16
Absolut_Ninja
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Not sure bout adding flour. I would only worry bout tasting it; like how you have to 'saute' flour when making a roux. My hefes get quite cloudy on their own with 3 week primary & no secondary. SWMBO likes the kristall so she doesn't rouse the yeast.

I think speise is different from krausening. I tried the speise technique but did not add yeast to it. I figured its kind of like adding DME as a primer so I don't bother anymore. It worked just fine though. Make sure you reboil it at bottling time.

BTW looks great!

Old 03-08-2012, 02:36 AM   #17
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts

Don't worry about the look,unless you are entering it in a contest.

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #18
Brazbrew
Recipes 

Default Bottling with "Speisse"

That's encouraging. I made a 30 liter batch of Weisse, and I confess i'm not much of a fan, but i made it for friends who insisted. The recipe called for approx 4 liters of "Speisse" to be added at bottling.
The recipe called for 5-7 days in the primary then rack into the bottling bucket with inoculated Speisse.
Laziness got the best of me (combined with the lack of enthusiasm for the Weisse), and the wort is now three weeks in the fermenter, and the Speisse just as long in the fridge.
Is it still safe to use that unfermented wort for bottling?
I don't have liquid yeast for inoculating, can I just pitch dry yeast or should I make a starter?
To complicate matters I missed the target OG, so I'm thinking I may need to add some sugar at bottling to get the right CO2 level. Seems like this beer's going to be a mess!

Old 12-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #19
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2114 Times on 1851 Posts
Likes Given: 1557

I've been using paulaner bottles,about half of them from their hefe. I don't think the hefe bottles are any heavier than the ale/salvator bottles. But 3.0 volumes of co2 sounds like plenty to me as well.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #20
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 683 Times on 504 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazbrew View Post
That's encouraging. I made a 30 liter batch of Weisse, and I confess i'm not much of a fan, but i made it for friends who insisted. The recipe called for approx 4 liters of "Speisse" to be added at bottling.
The recipe called for 5-7 days in the primary then rack into the bottling bucket with inoculated Speisse.
Laziness got the best of me (combined with the lack of enthusiasm for the Weisse), and the wort is now three weeks in the fermenter, and the Speisse just as long in the fridge.
Is it still safe to use that unfermented wort for bottling?
I don't have liquid yeast for inoculating, can I just pitch dry yeast or should I make a starter?
To complicate matters I missed the target OG, so I'm thinking I may need to add some sugar at bottling to get the right CO2 level. Seems like this beer's going to be a mess!
5-7 days in primary is too little, 3 weeks is just fine - in fact it's the minimum that i leave my beers in primary. nothing bad will happen to your wiesse because it's been in primary for 3 weeks (assuming you had good sanitation, of course).

as long as the speisse has been refrigerated all that time, you should be fine using it. the cold temps kept any nasties at bay and as soon as you add it to the beer the yeast in there will rapidly consume it. and speaking of which, you don't need to add more yeast. if you had a healthy primary fermentation, there is still plenty of yeast left to consume the unfermented wort and carbonate the beer. adding some dry yeast will work, but it's over-kill in my opinion.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Quick Reply